TalkParrots.com banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am ready to get that 3rd chance Senegal at my favorite shop. He is a bit of a perch potato. He is about 3 yrs old. Any info you could share? I have done all the usual reading about them and have read some favorable comments here. I am sure I will get him, just want some more info. Thanks all!:)

·
Registered
83 Posts
Meyer's is as close as I get :p
Hey, they can breed together, so it almost counts.
Mine's rehomed after 10 years and was not at all used to human interaction and properly socialized, so I'd say it's pretty much a worst-case scenario for any Poicephalus. When he bites, it's pretty hard, lol.
Then again he's shy and chooses not to bite. So even in my case they're relatively easy birds.
Just get ready to give plenty of attention. Senegals require more on-person interaction than Meyer's, but they too are relatively easy parrots.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Senegals are great birds. They do tend to be one person birds. Out of the 4 i know only 1 of them can be bothered with me. They love to play aswell and are total snuggle bugs.

It might take some time for this bird to come around and like you. I'm not talking days here. It took My sisters senegal months to come around and be allowed to pet him. She has gotten her fair share of bites from him that did bleed. Now that he has come around he will put up with most people. He doesn't really like men. She has trained him to give kisses when you save gimme a kiss. Its rather cute.

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
I haven't owned a Senegal, but I have worked with them. They form very strong bonds with their owners, but like Enna said, tend to be more one person birds. Very sweet, quiet, somewhat shy. They don't do well in the pet shop environment. If you're looking for an apartment bird with a good size, they're great for that!

·
Registered
182 Posts
I have a female Senegal, she is one year old. She is a good bird and starting to talk. She tries to mate with my husand and will bite me if I take her away from him. She is nippy, but not all the time. She loves to be out of her cage on her playstand.
They need alot of attention and to be in a room where they can see you.
She eats everthing that is healthy for her.
They do have a shrill that can hurt your ears but most of the time is quiet or callin my dog or son. She just learned to say Kiss Kiss and give me a kiss.
They are great birds.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone for the input! Cayenne is coming home tomorrow. He has been in store 6 months and has a large fan base. We feel lucky to be getting him. We are told he is the largest Senegal they have seen, and the loudest! I hope not the loudest as we are still working and hope he keeps it down to a dull roar while we are at work! The story is he was loud for a man who bought him and went to work the next day and the apt. neighbors complained so he returned him.... I think he was in an apt. all alone with no other birds. We have 15 so Cayenne certainly won't get lonely!

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
Oh, I'm so happy to hear he's coming home! Even the loudest Senegal out there isn't too loud, comparatively :lol: Of course, I'm comparing it to Sun Conures and Macaws however :wink: I can't wait to see photos! hint hint! lol :photo:

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
He's here! We got him this morning and he just got down to making himself at home. He is very tame for me. I can hold him and pet and kiss him. I allowed him on my shoulder, no problem there. He met the rest of the family in the afternoon andd is very calm with them. He did give a couple loud calls, not as bad as I expected. My concerns about this loudness is gone. He is almost 98% quiet. We had to go out for a bit and came home to a quiet house.
I sat down next to his cage and he told me most of the words he knows. And all the noises, use your imagination here!
I am very happy with him. Oh, he is a one person bird and I am it!

Attachments

·
Registered
127 Posts
We will be adopting one at the end of October! He is wild caught though like our amazon so we are expecting a lot of work to earn his trust. My husband decided on adopting him whereas the GCC he bought himself chose our 4 year old instead (see signature pic :)
We are looking forward to the addition to our flock though!

Congratulations! Cayenne certainly is a handsome bird!

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks everyone!Cayenne is almost perfect! In fact 100% because I cannot think of anything I don't like that he does!
He makes the 3 conures very jealous when he is being a sweety and making kissy noises for me. someone spent a lot of time kissing in front of him, or practicing with him. he's too good at it. And the smokers hack he does is outrageous. :giggle:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.