Parrot Forums - TalkParrots banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have always read that apricots are one of the things you never give a bird along with chocolate, alcohol..... I was about to buy some bird treats and I read the ingredients on the back and it said dried apricots.... anyone know what it is about apricots that is bad for birds? and.. why would a bird treat have apricots?... and would this treat be OK to give since it is made for birds, I know just because something is made "for" birds it doesn't make it good for them... Thanks <><

·
Registered
887 Posts
I believe too that it is the seeds that are the problem. Although I have heard some people say that with dried apricots it depends on how they are dried. Some have sulphur used to dry them. If they are sun dried I think they are absolutely fine. And don't forget there is also an artificial apricot as well. This has been used in baby food here in Australia and goes into Heinz Apricot Porridge so they may be artificial (basically a jelly (jello) with apricot flavouring).

Real apricots are high in Vitamin A along with lots of other Orange coloured fruit and vegetables. I have given dried apricots to my birds with no problems.

·
Registered
5,750 Posts
Do you mean avocados? That, you should NEVER give your bird. They have a toxic pit, and the toxin can spread into the rest of the fruit.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.