Parrot Forums - TalkParrots banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys! I heard of someone using a plastic fern for their parrots (specifically tiels) to play and sleep in. Is that safe? I mean if they start nibbling at it and stuff...are they safe?

Thanks for any info you may have!

·
Registered
3,245 Posts
I think it would depend on what kind of plastic it is and if the birds would ingest it. You buy plastic toys for our birds so why not plants. I would chose one made for terrariums but if the birds try to eat it ( as opposed to just destroying it) I would remove it.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Often times plastic flowers and plants have a thin wire inside the plastic. I would try to avoid that type as I have read that that kind of wire is bad. They could chew through the plastic and get to it.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Niblet is still teething :lol: and chews on everything within reach, toys, food bowl, perch, Millie and ears :yikes:

·
Registered
509 Posts
If it's hard plastic that couldn't be chewed off or swallowed, I'd say it'd be safe.
I'm not sure though....

·
Registered
97 Posts
I would just avoid them all together. The reason being that there are not really any safety regulations for these items, and they can contain lead or other harmful substances (glues, dyes, etc). The wire on the inside of many is also a concern. They could also easily eat pieces off. The only type I might contemplate getting would be those made for terrariums, but I think a better solution would be to make your own sleepy plant from fleece fabric, or other safe items.

·
Registered
509 Posts
I would just avoid them all together. The reason being that there are not really any safety regulations for these items, and they can contain lead or other harmful substances (glues, dyes, etc). The wire on the inside of many is also a concern. They could also easily eat pieces off. The only type I might contemplate getting would be those made for terrariums, but I think a better solution would be to make your own sleepy plant from fleece fabric, or other safe items.
Yeah, I did a bit of research and I second this opinion.

I suppose you could make something like that at home??

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.