Parrot Forums - TalkParrots banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there, my babies are 5 weeks this week and are very tame right now as I have been handling them daily. However, when they leave the nest, which is now, the dad warns them when I come near and they become afraid of me from then on. They seem to be eating millet right now when I hold them. Do you think I can remove them from the cage and put them in another cage with soft foods for them?

·
Registered
88 Posts
I think you can, they are out of the nestbox right? If you think they are eating enought. If in doubt then watch them closely.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Patty. I have removed them now and trimmed their wings as it seems that all they have on their minds is to fly to their parents cage. The middle baby was very concerned about his baby brother and when I put him also in the babies' cage, he went right to his little brother and preened him. This was quite something to see-soooo cute! What do you recommend I do now to keep them tame?

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
Handle them as much as you can :thumbsup: That's really the best way to keep budgies tame. IF they continue to be untame or nippy, the next step would be to separate them, but that's never fun I always felt bad doing that at the pet shop

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Jenny, I have been handling them, but they still want to fly away on me. Will they settle down do you think? When they're tired, they sir in my hand no problem. They will climb onto my hand however, especially the youngest one, but I think it's only because they know they can fly off if I take them out. The oldest one is the nippy one and he doesn't seem to eat very much. I am a little worried about him. Anyway I think I'll hand feed the babies next time so I won't have such a hard time keeping them tame. What do you think?

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
It's hard to say with certainty, but some will calm and be tame, some might not. I hope they calm down and settle with you. Baby budgies tend to be full of energy and don't want to sit still, so I hope that's why they're flighty on you

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You're right Jenny they are flighty, but they love to sit on my hand if my hand is in the cage. I believe they're so smart that they know my hand is their way out of the cage-lol.
My baby tiels that I hand feed, get flighty at age 5 weeks too, but then they calm right down. I hope the budgies will do the same.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.