Parrot Forums - TalkParrots banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im soon getting a bird and i was thinking along the ways of a lovebird ?!

ive read alot about them but i wanted some personal expierences with them, it would be a peach face.

are males or females better?

i have a cage that is 20X20X30 ( it is a hagen majestic cockatiel cage)
Is this big enough?

any opinions? in general?

is this the best bird for me?

thank you! :lovehearts:

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Could you tell us what appeals to you about lovebirds and the types of interactions you wish to have with your bird. I don't have a lovebird, but I think they are beautiful.

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
i have 2, both at this point are suspected female but one will be getting DNA'd soon. Munch is the one who we are very sure is female... they have attitude, they can pack a strong bite, and they can be noisy. so if you dont like noise, dont get a lovebird.

the cage you have listed is fine for ONE. so if you plan on getting 2, get a bigger cage. if you just have one, that cage is fine. theyre very active, always on the go, very curious, into everything, trouble makers... oh theyre a funny little bird. full of personality in such a tiny package. if you can tolerate the occasional nip and bite and tolerate the constant chirps, whistles, squeaks, chatters, and heaven knows what other noises they make, a lovebird will make a good companion for you.

one who is tame enjoys people's company and will become very attached to you, so daily interaction is very important.

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
im looking for a peachfaced lovebird
preferably male, ive heard the females can be tempermental

im looking for a bird that can be just a hang out bird, loving to be pet and jusy enjoy bieng a bird, hanging out and playing on its play pen

yes im looking to get one bird so it will bond to me

thank you very much.:)

·
Premium Member
17,670 Posts
I have not seen or heard of any issues with the sex of the bird making any difference to its personality, other than that I think a hand tame peach-faced lovie will suit you fine, except the noise part, if you don't like noise, don't get one :lol:

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ya, i heard somthing about females bieng more territorial than males but thats ok!

yes i dont mind the loud shriek a lovebird makes, its way quiter than a african grey's voice

lool..

does anybody have any personal expierences with a lovebird ?
:shrug:

·
Premium Member
17,670 Posts
I do and so does Casey :biggrin5:

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
lool,

they look like such sweet birds and not a big handful

reeally looking forward to getting one.. maybe in august after summer holidays so im not havin to find it a sitter when it is so young :D

·
Premium Member
17,670 Posts
they can be super sweet, bit as the others said they can pack a really tough bite, I thought my parrotlets wouldn't bite hard, I'm not kidding I ended up (after being bitten) having to use my falconry gloves to get the things out into another aviary 'cause they were so hard at biting! My lovie used to be really sweet but sometimes she'd bite.

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
aww sometimes they have the most random mood swings dont they? :biggrin5:

yes i know what it feels like to be bit.. my budge RIP :( used to bite REALLY hard
i dont know how he did it but he figured it out how to make me bleed :)

lol

·
Premium Member
17,670 Posts
I'd rather be grabbed by my hawk than bitten by my lineolated parakeets again! Haha

and oh no, your budgie died :(? Very sorry to hear

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
oh my grabbed by your hawk? geez ouch!!:yikes:
is he hand tamed.. somewhat? lol

and yes i think he had some sort of cancer and his medication wasnt enough :(
RIP

·
Premium Member
17,670 Posts
oh I'm reaaaally sorry :( poor little thing, rest in peace

and yeah he is super tame but he still can grab if he's in a bad mood XD

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
thank you.

oh i cant imagine that.. where i live there are hawks that are pretty used to humans and they get a little to close for comfort somtimes.. :yikes:

·
Premium Member
17,670 Posts
wanna see too close for comfort ...

that was Axel (as a baby :yikes:) biting my hand XD that is WAY too close for comfort :rofl:

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
wow he is gorgeous!

and ya. way to close for comfort.. i would have fainted by then :D

so cool that you can keep those kinds of birds :)

·
Premium Member
17,670 Posts
thank you :D

and nah I put up with it :lol: she was only playing back then, as an imprint she did get more aggressive as she grew older though, so I ended up bleeding a lot!

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Omg.. I can't imagine that... I've been grabbed by a macaw but that's it.. Atleast it didn't draw blood.. Phew!:p

·
Premium Member
17,670 Posts
I've been bitten by an umbrella cockatoo :lol: that was scary, usually I'm cool with bites and scratches, but that HURT!

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
lool

you would think that the little cutie wouldnt hurt.. but it definatly does!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.