Parrot Forums - TalkParrots banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do you know if your bird is in need of a beak trim? I've never had to deal with this problem but I'm wondering if Kiki might need one.

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
I usually just look at my birds and compare it to other birds of the same kind and check that way, over grown beak looks freaky, you can just tell:p. I've seen pics and videos of Kiki and her beak is just fine ;)

·
Registered
5,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Her beak seems to have gotten sharp. Was hoping she needed it trimmed or something and her nibbles wouldn't hurt so much...hehe. ;)
Thank you.

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
lol yeah I know what you mean, my female Conure's the same, her beak is extremely sharp, after every meal she sits there grinding her beak to sharpen it so that it is in best condition to bite when she's in a bad mood :yikes:

·
Premium Member
17,670 Posts
I was just gunna say, being as I have to do the birds of prey every couple of months, I use a nail file to get down the really sharp points but that's about it. I do have to trim them down but only when they're clearly overgrown. I do how ever do talons a lot more, especially on the kakarikis

·
Registered
5,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah Kiki really needs her nails trimmed.

·
Premium Member
17,670 Posts
just use ordinary nail clippers but make sure you don't cut into the blood, the vet did that to Chewee and we ended up having to pay to get that sorted out too

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
I've seen many times all my 3 Conures chewed the tip of the nails to take care of theirs, at the very tip of the nails it's very brittle and easily chew off by your Conure. I don't think you need to touch your Conure's nails, they take care of it themselves, I'm only sure about Conures, don't know about other birds though :biggrin5:

·
Registered
5,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I've clipped both wings and nails before.
It still makes me a tad bit nervous.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.