Parrot Forums - TalkParrots banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you use in the tray of the cage for your bird(s)? Bedding, newspaper or something else?

Every once in a while, I use white paper towels so I can easily monitor the birds' droppings to ensure they are normal. The rest of the time, I simply use newspaper.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I use newspaper. We get the daily paper so I have a good supply. Monitoring their poops is important, like Nick said. I have to say that as far as my linnie is concerned, her poo gets monitored every day by just looking at the shirt I am wearing.:rofl:

·
Registered
88 Posts
I use newspaper, I've tried other thing but always end up back to the newspaper. I have been known to iron it before I cut it to size. YES, I'm some kind of a nut. But it fits better that way and in the long run I think it saves me time. I fold it over and run a knife along and zoom it's done. Any other nuts out there?

·
Registered
177 Posts
newspaper. I always see the breeders using that brown bedding stuff, with a grate above it of course, and thought about doing the same with the grey. Seeing that the greys droppings are HUGE!! lol.

·
Registered
392 Posts
I'm a newspaper fan too, I also put folded paper towel under their sleep perches as my cockatiel seems to do a small mountain of poop sometime between sleeping and waking hours :lol:, it makes it easier to dispose of the next day.
Patty :rofl: I thought I was a neat freak/ nut, but ironing the newspaper is a new one on me :p

·
Registered
277 Posts
I use newspaper, I've tried other thing but always end up back to the newspaper. I have been known to iron it before I cut it to size. YES, I'm some kind of a nut. But it fits better that way and in the long run I think it saves me time. I fold it over and run a knife along and zoom it's done. Any other nuts out there?
You iron your newspaper? I have heard everything, now. Why can't I stop laughing. :rofl: I hate ironing my own clothes much less the paper for the birds to poop on. You will get the parront of the year award for that one Patty.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I've never had an award, so NUT of the year is GOOD, heheheh I don't iron my clothes. I go to all that trouble and the birds go down and the first thing they do is chew up the paper so the poo gets on the tray. I just can't win!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
LOL Patty, that is just TOO funny! I cannot imagine! :lol:

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
Haha, patty, that's too funny! I've been known to dampen the paper and press it under a book or something if it just won't lay flat, but not iron it! :lol:

I just use newspaper. We get it anyways and I'd hate to spend extra money on something that's going to get pooped on and shredded! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
212 Posts
I use newspaper and every now and then shredded paper under Callie's grate.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I use newspaper, too. the same philosophy Jenny mentioned "we allready get it, and its just going to get pooped on"

My first budgie, Morrie, had a cage that was the exact size and shape as a local paper here that we didn't get because of its politics/trashiness, but since it was a perfect size, i would go pick one up in the evening sometimes from one of the street vendors- they would hand them out for free by the end of the day, just to get rid of the ones that didn't sell. It was a joke in the family for a while that we regularly subscribed to that paper so the bird could poop on it.

Now both my birds have cages that aren't the size of any particular newspaper, so i use the leftover newspaper we really do subscribe to, but have to fold it in crazy ways to get it to fit.

·
Registered
136 Posts
oooh I don't have the patience to iron the paper patty, but if I did I probably would, I'm a bit of a nut to - but I just fold it and make it fit :p (I use newspaper as well)

·
Registered
143 Posts
I use wood crisps :) I tried newspaper ones.. Never again! I hated it :rolleyes: It didn't smell nice, and it became a mess very quickly.. Also, my birds want to walk over the floor, and with the newspapers they didn't liked that at all.. So I changed back very quick to the wood crisps, which I really like and the birds too :D

·
Registered
68 Posts
For the small birds I use white paper towels. For the big birds and the lorikeet I use walnut bedding and scoop it everyday and change it once a week for Emma and Merlin and twice to three times a week for the lory and lorikeet.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I use white paper towels or newspaper. I like the free ad newspapers that are found in most grocery store's entrance, but I always feel guilty taking more than 1. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
502 Posts
I use paper towels. I don't like the smell of newspapers and we used them at first with Millie and she didn't like the smell either. I find it really handy to buy the cheapest towels I can and especially like the one that is tearable at half size. I only have to use three towels for each cage. If I end up with the full size I just tear it but hubby folds is and cuts it with a knife.. nice and neat :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.