Parrot Forums - TalkParrots banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone use a Bird Scale? How often do you wiegh your bird/birds? What is a good brand. I see kitchen scales at around $20, and Bird Scales by Zieis that start around $20. Will either one work OK? Is this something I should invest in?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
I have one that I use to see how fat my birds are Haven't weighed them in a while which I prolly should weigh them soon.

·
Premium Member
17,670 Posts
I have birds of prey so I have various scales. I NEVER use kitchen scales because sometimes they can be pretty inaccurate. I use a few different brands. I've never weighed anything parroty though. I weigh my birds of prey once a day. How come you wish to weigh him? If you're worried you could consult your vet?

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Bob,
A scale is something I do not have that my vet recommends. I have one on order, but it isn't in yet. I can't recommend a brand.

I have been told to weigh no more often than one time per week, and weigh at close to the same time each time. If you suspect a problem, of course, you can weigh more often then.

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
A scale is a good thing to have and, like nanay said, once a week is a good interval and the best time to weigh is first thing in the morning, before breakfast. Its normal for some change in weight but anything more than 5-7% and I would consult a vet. 10% or more puts a bird in a critical state and the bird would need immediate vet care.

·
Registered
5,750 Posts
It is nice to be able to keep track of your bird's weight on a regular basis. It helps the vet out if your bird were ever to get sick, and in fact, it helps you spot illnesses early. I don't have a scale myself, but I would love to eventually get one. For a few weeks straight, we had to go into the vet three days a week to weigh our birds while we were switching them from seeds to pellets, so I admit it would have been a lot easier to just own one ourselves.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
How come you wish to weigh him? If you're worried you could consult your vet?
Not worried about anything at all. I have just read that it is a good idea to track their weight. I figure the best time to start is while he is still young. My problem is there is not much info on the Scarlet Chested, how do I know what a good weight range is for him.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Bob,
There are some other members with splendids on the forum. They might be able to give more specifics.

I can tell you that splendids are generally slightly smaller than bourkes, and our bourkes hovers around 39 g. She is actually somewhat small for a bourkes, but the vet says she is in excellent weight for her body size and type.

·
Premium Member
17,670 Posts
Oh that's all good then!

·
Registered
5,750 Posts
I was going to look up the weight range for you in this great book I have, but I could not find it! :p
I'm sure a vet would know, though. And you will be able to trust the answer they give you.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.