Parrot Forums - TalkParrots banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a green cheek conure and he is my first. I have only had him a few days and he is lots of fun but he can sometimes fixate on the skin of my hands and take it in his beak and bite and twist. He is not mad when he does this, think he is just checking it out. So how do I stop it. I try to distract him with a toy but there is not always something handy or he may not notice right away. The breeder said I shold blow lightly in his face. Is this okay? Any advice is appreciated!

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
He's a baby, so I think he's testing everything out to see what's what in his new world. If Libby does that and doesn't stop when I say "No bite" firmly, I put her back in her cage for a few minutes of chill time. When I take her back out, usually her sunny disposition is back, just like it never happened. Course, her cage is like Disneyland, so I doubt she minds going there! LOL!

I'm sure more experienced members will jump in here with some help!

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Jenny once posted that she makes an Ack, Ack sound like the ones birds make when some other bird is biting them too hard. Conures do need to learn what hurts and what doesn't, and they do tend to latch on and twist even when they are not mad or frightened. I believe the green cheeks can learn that they are biting too hard, because my Shira doesn't bite nearly as hard as other green cheeks I have held. You do need to find a signal that you and she both understand which would indicate to her that she is biting too hard. If she is not afraid when you blow in her face, and if she is used to that because that is what the hand-feeder did, that might just be your easiest signal. I personally move my hand back and forth just slightly, not wild at all, and not enough to cause the bird to fall - but green cheeks can hang on with their feet better than most birds I know. I don't recommend that for most birds, because it can scare many of them. It does not scare my green cheek, and it is what she is used to. I NEVER shake my grey. She is not steady on her feet, and I think it would make her fall and scare her. I tell her, "no bite", or "too hard". That is what she is used to and learned from before she was weaned.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.