Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Here is my new black cheeked lovebird!

I got him on Saturday and we have had quite the adventure so far.

When I got him the bird was weaned....the breeder said he/she was hatched in early Jan. Well, he basically stopped eating. He got so weak he could hardly stand/perch. This was yesterday around 2. I called my vet and she instructed me to give him 2-3 drops of pancake syrup to get his blood sugar up....and then try to coax him to eat once her perked up. Well instead of trying to coax him with pellets/seeds/millet, cuz he wouldnt touch them, I rushed to the bird store and got some handfeeding formula. He ate that RIGHT up, and has been doing much better since....hanging out with my p'let and linnie. I thought I was going to lose him right there, but luckily I acted in haste and was able to nurse him back to health.

When he first came home he was sort of afraid of me, but now I think he KNOWS i saved him, because he is the tamest/lovingest little bird. He is the cutest thing I have ever seen; only slightly bigger than my p'let, and has a wonderful, inquisitive, smart, adventerous personality. Such a great bird.....they should really be seen more in the pet world.....

I dont have a name for him yet, but I think i am going to go with Django or Ziggy.

He hasn't been DNA'd yet, but I have a hunch he is a boy....

Isn't he just adorable

·
Registered
226 Posts
He IS adorable, and thank goodness you acted quickly and got him the formula he needed. Whew! I havent heard much about black cheeks as pets, so I will be interested to hear how things go as he matures. He is a cutie pie...congratulations!

·
Registered
17 Posts
From my expierience male lovebirds have bolder colour, if you put a male and a female next to each other of the same colour, the female will appear 'dull' next to the male.

But the most effective method would of coure be DNA sexing ^^

Good luck with your little one, he is beautiful!

·
Premium Member
17,670 Posts
he's a stunning little guy, congratulations!

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
He is beautiful. I love the orange beak. Great that you followed your instincts and got him some formula. I hear it is not uncommon for birds to revert in new homes like that.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.