Parrot Forums - TalkParrots banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Can those of you with Bourke's share photos or descriptions of what type of caging you are using for your 'keets? Do you recommend cages that are wider rather than taller? I've been told that Bourke's don't climb about their cages the way a budgie or lovebird might. I've also been told to have plenty of perching options for Bourke's like you would for a finch or a canary. Do they seem to like swings or ladders? Do they seem to like any sort of toys in particular? Thank you all so much!

·
Registered
340 Posts
IMO, a wide cage is better. Bourkes do not climb at all. They do require lots of perches. I have read that some Bourkes play with toys, but mine didn't. He'd pick, halfheartedly at a beaded toy, but he didn't really play, as such.

Reactions: Eliza

·
Registered
662 Posts
Our Rosey doesn't climb the bars at all. I have her in a double flight cage with 2 tiels and she flies to her swing and back to her perch, and she walks on the grate. I put the food dishes on the grate in a poop free zone!
The cage is not overly full. 3 swings, 2 branch perches, a long rope perch, and a corner sand embedded perch. 2 shreddable toys and some beaded doodads tiels seem to like. Rosey chews on the swing, she will play with a foot toy once in a while. she isn't interested in budgie toys, she likes to chew. She gets lots of out time every day, 3-4 hours.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I have my two bourkes in the HQ flight cage. If you google the name you will find it. They don't climb like a budgie, they are flighty like the canaries. Mine don't use swings but they like their boing. I have wooden perches and rope perches.
My bourkes chew on shredding toys, but not alot.
They are very quite and clean birds.I will try and post a picture another day.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Stanley does not climb cage bars. Other than that, he is unaware he is a bourkes. He plays with every toy he has ever been given, and he plays a lot.

I have many more perches in his cage than I have for the other birds his size. He will go to any area of the cage that is accessible with "laddered perching", but if the perches are not there he won't use those areas. He will also make good use of platforms made of grate and ladders hung horizontally, anything he can walk on.

Stanley is not flighted, so that probably makes a difference. His flight feathers won't grow back correctly, and even if they did I am not certain I would leave him flighted.

A longer cage seems better than a taller cage, but with Stanley it doesn't actually make much difference because he uses any space he can as long as he can get there via ropes, perches, toys, grates, ladders, etc - anything except cage bars.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you, everyone! I appreciate the responses. I did an edit in my first post; I meant to say that Bourke's don't climb about like budgies. Is this the case for other small Aussie parrots, like red-rumped and scarlet-chested 'keets as well?

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Scarlet chested parakeets climb all over the cage bars. They climb as well as most any other parrot.

·
Registered
160 Posts
My cages... smaller is good for taming and training

I have my Bourke and Scarlet Chested in smaller cages for now but they are out flying around a couple hours every day so I don't think it's a big problem. I do plan to get them larger cages (and possibly mates) as some point though - and I want to get them boing-type perches. I have full-spectrum lights over each cage, which are on a timer (they are on for 12 - 13 hours a day). I took the floor grates out because they like to walk on the bottom. Their food dishes are on the bottom so they can feed on the ground they way they like to.

One nice thing about these cages - the whole front opens as a big door, making it very easy for them to get in and out. That really helped taming and training.

Both know how to fly back to their own cages. Unfortunately, they don't get along well enough to share one larger cage.

My finches and doves are in these larger cages shown below (are these HQ cages?). These would be more appropriate for my keets, if I didn't let them out to fly every day.

Some free flight time in the sunroom!

Reactions: Eliza and nanay

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
I forgot to say earlier that is doesn't matter to the bourkes if the cage bars are vertical or horizontal, he won't climb or hang on either. He is currently in a cage that has all horizontal bars. He still makes no attempt to climb, and never has.

When he was very little, the first time we put him in the cage we had at school for him when we took him to visit my classroom, he tried climbing those cage bars, but he only tried that one time. That cage had smaller diameter bars than his other cages. He would hang on the sides of that cage and beg to get out. Now he just stuffs his face as far as he can into the cage bars and begs to get out, no matter what cage he is in.

Alternately, it doesn't matter to the splendid if the cage bars are vertical or horizontal, he WILL climb or hang on both.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
I forgot to answer your question about swings and ladders earlier.

Stanley likes most swings, but we do have one swing that is just a swing made of chain and a stick for the actual perch with leather and wooden toys up and down the chain. So far, no one likes that swing.:shrug: Stanley is in that group. Cannary and I thought it was cute, but we've yet to see the bourkes, the splendid, or the lineolated make even the first attempt to get on it, no matter how close we hang it to even their favorites. Stanley, the bourkes, is the only one we've ever even seen touch it. He will sit on other things and chew on the wooden and leather pieces on the chain sides, but that is the extent of its use. The other two totally ignore it.

Of the swinging options, Stanley spends a great deal of time on the boing and a triangle of rope that hangs with the triangle horizontal from 3 chains that attach at the top like pyramid sides to a single clip. He also loves to perch on top of a tube of fuzzy cloth we originally got for the linnie. He will also go inside it, but he prefers the top the most. He doesn't go near normal "tents" but he loves this tube. He also has a gondola made of a huge vine ball on top as the "balloon" and a vine basket on the bottom. That used to be his favorite thing until the splendid took it over as his favorite thing. Actually, now that I think of it, I don't ever remember seeing Stanley sitting on the traditional swings that are on the playstand, either. They are just wooden dowels hung by chain. Both the linnie and the splendid get on those regularly, but Stanley doesn't.

Stanley doesn't climb ladders if the incline is steep. I don't think he climbs anything steeper than a 45 degree angle. I haven't experimented much with ladders, so I don't know if the rung spacing has anything to do with that or not.

Honestly, if Stanley were fully flighted, I think he would just fly everywhere. He might be able to do many more things then.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Thanks nanay, your posts are very helpful. Im getting my bourkes today!!!!!!! Hes a male.Im soooooooooooo excited, :giggle: Im trying desperstely to think of a name!!!:)

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
:woohooban::mcongratulations:

Do you want to stick with flower names?

Is this a rosey bourkes? I thought you said it was earlier, but I am not certain.

I'm sure there are many appropriate flower names, but I don't know flowers.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
One other thing you MUST remember if your bird is pink.

Don't forget to remind him that it takes a true man to wear pink. :smilielol5:

We call Stanley, Stan the Man and Stanley the Manly bird.

Cannary also calls him Non-flat Stanley, in reference to the popular kids' book.

Also, remember male bourkes CAN talk, so talk to him like you would Lily.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thank you again, everyone!

Ron: I have a similar style cage (18x18x20) for Pickle, my broto. Beetle, my lovie, was in it before him. He gets quite a bit of out of cage time so it works out well. I'd love to get the same style cage as you have for your finches (the HQ or AE flights) but I live in apartment. I need something that I can manuever around easily for cleaning and such.

BTW -- where did you find your Bourkes and Scarlet? I've seen them (and other grass 'keets) at Bird Paradise in Burlington, NJ from time to time. Just curious!

Kim: I am SO excited for you! Can't wait to see photos of your new addition. I'm always anxious to read about the differences between a linnie and a Bourke's. Sharon and Nanay have given me a lot to think about and I'm sure that you will, too!

Names... hmmm. You could call him Mr. Pink or Pinky. If he were a female I would suggest Petunia :p

·
Registered
160 Posts
Sources for my Bourke and Scarlet Chested

Eliza,

I got my Bourke from a breeder in Pennsylvania (Wilkes Barre) and found my Scarlet-Chested on Craig's List from a breeder in Lewes, Delaware. Send me a Private Message if you want their contact information.

I have also seen Bourkes at Bird Paradise in New Jersey but I never saw a Scarlet-Chested there. I don't know if their were hand-raised or not. Mine were both hand-raised but I got both at about 6 months of age so they needed a little work to re-tame them.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.