Parrot Forums - TalkParrots banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Breeding is not something I'm super knowledgeable about, just because I really haven't done it or experienced it before. I am wondering a few things, and I'm hoping some of you who do breed can answer me.

Do the two birds you breed with have to be (I'm not exactly sure what you would call it) "compatible"? I always see ads for "proven bonded pairs" so does that mean that not all birds (I'm particularly wondering about budgies) will breed?

Other than the bird being over a year old (budgie speaking), is there any other age requirements? Will a budgie not breed after its a certain age?

Thanks! If I think of any other questions, I'll be sure to post them here.

·
Premium Member
17,670 Posts
My budgies used to breed from about a year of age if I do recall. They stopped laying when they were reeeeaaally old.
Proven pairs tend to be ones who have already laid and hatched young so they are proven breeders. That's what I think anyways.
Most budgies will breed when put together and they seem to be pretty fine in doing so. I've never had one that has disliked another!

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
Proven pairs have produced viable offspring, bonded pairs are mated and may have laid, but never successfully raised chicks :thumbsup:

·
Registered
5,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, well, I've tried a couple times with my budgies. Now that Rosco died, I only have a male (Jasper) and two females (Lola and Celia). He likes both of them, and I have tried a couple times and attached a nesting box and separated Celia from Jasper and Lola for a while. They preened each other and chirped together, but I've never seen them really be too interested in the nesting box or with mating. I think I've given up trying to breed them, haha. They can just stay friends. ;)

·
Premium Member
17,670 Posts
Hmm that's pretty unusual. My budgies went straight at it haha! I produced a fair bit of budgies in the time I had them and I've never seen any of them not bothered in a nest box :confused: how odd. You just need to persevere. If they don't breed then mix them up so you can find out who is interested in who

·
Registered
5,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've mixed them up before, but it still hasn't worked, so I'm not sure...

·
Premium Member
17,670 Posts
Oh now that is unusual. If you really want to breed I would probably say you'd be better of getting a proven pair or bonded pair so you don't have to go through the hassle of pairing and not risk losing your birds love for another bird haha.

Once one has got a mate they want nothing to do with you sadly in my case. I'd try getting a pair specifically for breeding if you really wanna breed!

·
Registered
5,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah, I understand that feeling (when the birds want nothing to do with you because they've found somebody else).

I find it odd that my birds won't have babies, too. I mean, my cockatiel, Minnie, she's layed eleven dud eggs so far since she's lived with me. She really wants to breed. I've had four parakeets over five years and they have never shown any interest in breeding like that. The only thing I notice is Lola, her cere is very brownish all the time.

Ah, silly birds!

·
Premium Member
17,670 Posts
Maybe you should try and breed from your 'tiel then :D that would be awesome. I used to breed some lutinos and white faced

·
Registered
5,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I would love to do that!! Except.....I love my 'tiel too much!! We are best buds. I honestly don't want to give her a mate. She'll lose all her interest in me, and I love hangin' out with her! :) I'm thinking, however, that once I get some more bigger birds, I might end up giving her a friend just because I might not give her as much attention as I do now. I think she'd have gorgeous babies, though. :D

·
Premium Member
17,670 Posts
Yeah especially looking at her colour and markings! I would do that then :) what sort of bird are you planning on buying?

·
Registered
5,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
After I buy the finches, I hope to get a Sun Conure and an African Grey (most likely a Congo).

·
Premium Member
17,670 Posts
Oooo I love greys. I love the timneh ones too though! They used to have a load of sun conures in this shop near me and they were super cuddly!

·
Registered
5,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Greys and Sun Conures are beautiful, but their personalities and care also suit me and my future. I can't wait to finally bring some home!!

I do often hear that the Timnehs are great, but I still want a Congo for some reason.

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
I'm the same - timnehs are really great birds, but I've always connected better with the Congos :shrug: Can't explain it, I'm just drawn to them more, it's something in their eyes that just draws you in

·
Premium Member
17,670 Posts
Because when mature they're like mega yellow xD!

·
Registered
5,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I understand that, Jenny!! :D I also like their largeness.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
I was looking for a Timneh when I got Ashlynn. My ex-husband had a timneh when we got married, and I have always liked their personalities. However, I didn't connect with the particular timnehs that were available. When I saw Ashlynn for the first time, she was very outgoing for such a young baby. She just took in the view. I decided to get Ashlynn instead of a timneh because she was so calm about everything. She has so far been a much sweeter bird than I even expected.

·
Premium Member
17,670 Posts
Awwww that's really really sweet!

·
Registered
5,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
That's sweet! :) It's good you found a bird.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.