Parrot Forums - TalkParrots banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there. We have two Indian Ringneck parakeets which we got about a year ago, one was a little older than the other but they had been sharing a cage and we were told that they were a bonded pair.

When they first arrived with us they were very sweet together and would snuggle up on their perch etc. but then the slightly older one became quite domineering and a little bit aggressive towards the other.

His bullying seems to come in waves and at the moment it's pretty bad again, Suki's too worried to even come to the bars to get a nut now as as soon as she (we don't know for sure 'her' sex) opens her beak Maxi runs over to her in a threatening way and chases her off.

We've tried all we can think of to teach him that his behaviour is unacceptable but we're not experienced bird handlers so don't know where to go from here and how to help her fend him off.

Thank you in advance for your advice, guys :)

·
Registered
662 Posts
I think you should separate them for a bit so Suki can eat and rest and regain so composure. Keep the cages near each other so they don't flock call. I hope this helps.:)

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
It could be aggression based on breeding urges - he's trying to 'protect' and possess her, because she's his mate, so he doesn't want her spending time with others. I agree, separation might be a good idea if you have the ability

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, guys. Unfortunately we don't have another cage or the space for another one - the one they share is huge! She's okay, physically, she hasn't lost weight and he doesn't attack her, it's more of a threatening thing. Sometimes he's totally fine with her but other times he's just a big meanie!

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
I don't know much about ringnecks, but I have read repeatedly that they don't pair bond for life like some parrots. That doesn't mean this isn't connected to trying to keep her to himself, because it certainly sounds like it is. I only mentioned it because I thought this might be something specific to ringnecks. :shrug: By that, I mean maybe they have some behaviors common to ringnecks that someone who has raised ringnecks could share. I know we have members who have raised ringnecks.

That having been said, nevertheless these two birds only have one another and your family.

I have no advice, actually.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.