TalkParrots.com banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my version of the soak mix. I make a big batch, freeze it into individual servings in a ice cube tray. Pop each serving out to defrost & serve daily. As I said, this is my version, so its a guideline, and you can mix things up however you want!

your birds big & small will love this!

Here is what I use:

1/4 cup of each (dried, found by the rice at the store)
peas
lentils
white beans (small)
white rice
wild rice
popcorn kernels (regular old popcorn you would use in a pot)
you can add other beans, or lentils, barley etc. as you prefer

soak overnight, then drain & rinse the next day. Put in a pot and cover about 1 inch over with warm water. slowly simmer for about 1 hour.

drain & rinse again, then cool, put in ice trays and freeze, then pop them out & put in a freezer bag. Pull out as many as you need, and defrost on the counter for about 15 minutes.

also, you can add raisins, cinnamon sticks, flax seed and other goodies. after cooking, add apple chucks, grated carrots etc.

I have also learned over the years, cook the rice separately as it overcooks. also cook the corn separately as it can still be raw! then mix them together after.

I also don't use black beans, it makes the whole mix a nasty gray color! LOL

·
Registered
63 Posts
Thank you for the guideline. That sounds yummy enough for any bird to eat. I really need to buy some of those ice trays and try that. :)

·
Registered
392 Posts
Yummy!!!! Sounds good, thanks for sharing, Anna. :biggrin5: Yes those ice cube trays are perfect for freezing bird sized portions, I use them a lot.:thumbsup:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.