Parrot Forums - TalkParrots banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an African Grey, he has had several homes in the past, don't know a great deal of his history but he is quite a ark grey. He's not far off my Timnehs colour but of course he has the red tail and is larger than a Timneh although not large like some Silvers. I did a bit of reserch into it recently and found that he must be a Ghana African Grey, they are a darker shade of grey and are smaller than your typical Congo African grey. They don't seem as common either, when searching through pictures of greys for sale I only found a fraction of GAGS to CAGs.
Anyone here have a GAG rather than a CAG or TAG? :)

·
Premium Member
17,670 Posts
I have never heard of the Ghana African Greys! I will go look them up. They sound pretty cool

·
Premium Member
17,670 Posts
I just found this little thing on them... does it sound like yours?

Ghana Grey Parrots aka Ghana African Grey aka Princeps African Grey:
The Ghan Grey is the third subspecies of African Grey. The first being the Congo African Grey (note this breed is also referred to as a Ghana by some fanciers), followed by the Timneh African Grey. The Ghana Grey is very similar to the Congo African Grey in appearance, the only difference being a a slightly darker plumage, and it might be somewhat smaller than the Congo. The existence of the Ghana African Grey has been questioned by many expert. The debate centers on its distinction from the Congo African Grey. Many claim that it may have at one time been a distinct breed, but interbreeding with the Congo Grey has wiped away any genetic variation between the two. Others feel that there has always been much migration between the islands and the mainland that there was probably never any distinction to begin with. Whichever the case, most claim that if the Ghana Grey was ever a distinct species, it probably is no longer today.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I took some bird pics recently and sent one to online friend who has birds/parrots, she has only ever had one similar to my bird, he was an old bird caught about 30 years old (passed away now) I don't know a great deal of my ones history as he's had a few homes, I'm about his fourth but he's not a wild caught, he's tame with me but doesn't like other people but he's not scared of people like a wild caught might be.

·
Premium Member
17,670 Posts
Hmm that's odd, maybe you could upload them on here and see what everybody thinks?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I tried uploading pics on the talkcockatiels site and seem to have a problem because the pic was too big for the jpeg or something:confused5: don't know I spent about 2 hours messing around with it and nearly the computer out the window. I shall have a look around and find the closet match. I think over here they've only been handrearing since the nineties so that's the oldest is could be. He's not a phobic grey and really quite confident, doesn't like other people but not bothered by them.

·
Premium Member
17,670 Posts
it is very dark!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.