Parrot Forums - TalkParrots banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
mango and munch are siblings good chance brother and sister. mango is DNA'd male but munch we just assume is female.

will they be happy with their cages side by side?

just wondering if that was enough company for them. they get out of cage time together too but sometimes i wonder if that is enough. i worry about inbreeding if i cage them together

EDIT: another forum thinks munch may be male

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Casey,
I know your boyfriend isn't keen on the idea of dna testing Munch, but if he is a male that would certainly take away any issues about inbreeding, and you could cage them in whatever way makes everyone the most happy.

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah but hes not willing to bend on that issue and theres nothing i can do about it lol

i think he likes making me confused lol thats all munch does to me is boggle my brain

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Another thought is that you don't have to let them hatch eggs even if they have them. If there is ever an egg, you'll know Munch is female.

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
we will see how that goes. doesnt sit well on my mind with boiling eggs but rather not had inbred babies. so we will let them share a cage, but not allow eggs to hatch if ever.

we will start caging them together tomorrow. see how it goes. if all goes well, we will get them a flight to share. we will keep mango's cage as a travel/separation cage should we ever need to.

·
Premium Member
17,670 Posts
that's cool, let us know how it goes

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
put them together this morning and munch bullied mango in her cage.
first munch immediately started bullying him but then presented again but wouldnt let mango mount her.... so im sooo confused lol if this is how it happens, yeah separate caging most likely

·
Premium Member
17,670 Posts
agreed haha! That isn't good

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
its only her cage...

i later put them in the tiels cage together. nothing. they played peacefully and napped. but i have a feeling that if got them a big cage, eventually when munch sees it as hers, then shes going to attack mango too much. so its not fair to mango to do that.

theyre staying in separate cages. i put mango in the other cage (munch's) that morning and he paced to get back in his cage too. so that right there is telling me theyre happy with their own cages.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Sometimes birds like their own cage!

I have 2 unrelated female Bourke Parakeets and I assumed they could live in the same cage but they require separate cages. They interact OK outside of their cages but they are too territorial to share a cage. So I have 2 cages side by side and that works OK.

·
Premium Member
17,670 Posts
we have two female bourkes in a really big aviary and they're still super territorial! Our male red-rump parakeet is pestering them like crazy though haha

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.