Parrot Forums - TalkParrots banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So over the past few days CC and Dovey have been settling into their new home. I don't have much furniture or any mirrors or big windows, so this place is actually more bird-safe and bird-proof than the last place, which is great!

On the other hand, I want to allow both birds (a diamond dove and a cockatiel, for those of you who are unaware) free flight time, and they prefer to be near each other. So I was wondering if they could be out at the same time? So far, Dovey sits on the top of CC's cage and CC shows no desire to peck at his feet or attack him in any way. In fact, if anything she's totally blase about his presence, doesn't even seem to notice him. So do you think that I could let them both out at the same time in a 10 by 12 foot room? Or is that asking for trouble?

Thanks for your opinions!

·
Registered
519 Posts
Erin,
I think you could try it with close supervision, being ready to intervene if necessary. They vote sound like peaceful birds, and the observation that neither is cage territorial is a good sign! Good luck and let us know...

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Kristen!!

Will be trying it tonight after 5 EST (Comcast is coming sometime before that and I will need to have the door open). I suspect things will go just peachy-keen but you never know.

Will keep you posted!

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
Keep us updated! People often keep them together in mixed aviaries and both are peaceful species, so it should be fine :) Just keep an eye on CC in case she bullies him a bit

·
Registered
493 Posts
I think that will work. My birds are all always out at the same time - of course, I'm always in the room with them when they are out.

·
Premium Member
17,670 Posts
They should be totally fine but it depends on the bird. I have 4 diamond doves in a totally mixed aviary and they do fine with the other birds :)

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oh my gosh, guys!!

So I let them both out together, and Dovey flew RIGHT into the cage with CC! And now they're just chilling out together in the cage! It's so bizarre -- he's even trying to preen her!

I'm going to have dove-sized cockatiel beebs....I just know it. LOL.

Pictures to follow.

·
Premium Member
17,670 Posts
Awwh! Can't wait for pictures :D

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XcQKni_2260"]‪Cockatiel and Dove Cohabitating‬‏ - YouTube[/nomedia]

Talk about weird.

·
Premium Member
17,670 Posts
cute haha!

·
Registered
5,750 Posts
I'm always surprised at what other birds a bird can end up getting along with. Kiki has been sweet to my budgies and my 'tiel, I have no problems with them. I wasn't originally expecting that.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.