Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!

I've never kept birds before but decided over a month ago that I'd like a parrot (or parrots).

The problem is I just can't decide on what I'd like!

I started off deciding I'd have some budgies, so I put together an indoor aviary but looking at it, I felt that something a little bigger might be nicer so I ended up looking at Cockatiels. Now I'm also interested in Senegals, Conures, Indian Ringnecks and Parrotlets. I can't afford a massively expensive bird and really I'm looking at £150 maximum.

The indoor aviary that I have put together is 3' wide x 4' long x 6' tall with 1" x 1/2" mesh.

I need some guidance on which direction to go in else I fear that I'll still be trying to decide come next year!

Initially I was very concerned about noise but the more time I spend watching parrots on youtube and getting used to the idea of a noisy bird in the house, the more I have come to accept it.

Talking and tricks are of no major concern to me. If a parrot can do those things then great but it has no impact on my choice.

So... help help help!

·
Registered
38 Posts
I have two parrotlets and love them to death. They are both 17 months old and we have had them over a year. This year we got two conures. We got a black capped conure and a yellow sided green cheeck. Both of these are said to be quieter conures and I work nights and they don't screech and keep me awake. Conures are great. I love all my birds. Until last year I wasn't a bird owner. I love to listen to all the noises they make. It's music to my ears.......

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
Well, I would stick to something small, perhaps budgies, tiels, parrotlets, or maybe linnies unless you know the wire you used can handle a bigger parrot chewing on it. That's really the biggest problem with the bigger birds in a home-made aviary - I've watched a conure chew a 1" thick pine perch in half in less than an hour :giggle:

You may find you like linnies - they've got large parrot personality without being quite as noisy as parrotlets. They are also more interactive and tend to be more social with people than budgies. I do know there are quite a few breeders in the UK who are active on one of the sister forums to this site www.lineolatedparakeet.net/forums if you're interested. Also, if you're looking for more specific information about tiels or parrotlets you can look up talkcockatiels.com and talkparrotlets.com

What traits are you looking for in a bird? Are you looking for aviary birds or birds to tame and handle? :)

·
Registered
38 Posts
Well, I would stick to something small, perhaps budgies, tiels, parrotlets, or maybe linnies unless you know the wire you used can handle a bigger parrot chewing on it. That's really the biggest problem with the bigger birds in a home-made aviary - I've watched a conure chew a 1" thick pine perch in half in less than an hour :giggle:

You may find you like linnies - they've got large parrot personality without being quite as noisy as parrotlets. They are also more interactive and tend to be more social with people than budgies. I do know there are quite a few breeders in the UK who are active on one of the sister forums to this site www.lineolatedparakeet.net/forums if you're interested. Also, if you're looking for more specific information about tiels or parrotlets you can look up talkcockatiels.com and talkparrotlets.com

What traits are you looking for in a bird? Are you looking for aviary birds or birds to tame and handle? :)
Boy Jenny you got that right. I have ladders in the conure cages and the conures are chewing them up like the were candy.:hug:

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I didn't even think about parrots chewing their way out! So that narrows it down!

I think it's either Cockatiels or Parrotlets then. I did read that parrotlets can't live together yet I see people do keep them together and I've seen pairs for sale?

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
It seems to be hit or miss in regard to parrotlets... I have a pair who live together. My female lived alone for almost a year when we introduced a male. Took about 3 months for her to accept him in her cage and now they live together well, although they bicker back and forth a lot. Mostly, they just beak at eachother once or twice a day and yell back and forth over toys :giggle: However, I've heard of other parrotlet owners who have had their pairs turn on eachother and kill eachother :shrug: Your call on what you're comfortable with

No interest in the linnies? They're a little larger than parrotlets but smaller than tiels and quieter than the parrotlets. The two smaller birds in my siggy are linnies - Loki and Kai :) Like I said, I know of a very good breeder with babies in the nest right now and she is in Essex. Her birds are co-parented and very very sweet, and she gets the rarer color mutations like Dilutes and Blues :)

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
The linnies do look nice but I've done a quick search and it seems there's none even remotely near me. Essex is 3hrs or 164 miles away from me. I'll keep an eye out though. Can those live as a pair without trouble?

What would be more intelligent out of Cockatiels, Parrotlets and Linnies?

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
What are you hoping to do with your birds? How much do you want to interact with them?

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
Hmm... intelligence they're all about equal. Do you mean talking ability, doing tricks, or what? Sorry to ask so much specifics, but to advise you on to the best species, it's best to know exactly what you're working for :)

Tiels are very good whistlers and can be good talkers and are known for doing little tricks. They are affectionate birds, do well in groups usually, and are very interactive. They, if hand raised, generally love head rubs.

Parrotlets can be very good talkers, usually the males, and are very intelligent but have an attitude :giggle: Think Amazon in a tiny body. They can be very snuggly, but sometimes don't like to be touched at all. They can also be a little nippy, but usually that comes as a phase in a young bird and they grow out of it. They do best as single birds, if you're looking for a snuggly pet.

Linnies are more mellow, very intelligent, and can learn to talk and whistle. They can be a little shy and may take some time to come out of their shells, but they do form very strong bonds. They tend to be either cuddly or no touchy. They do good in groups

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
I guess by intelligent I mean.... you know when you look at an animal and you can just see it in the eyes? Like when you look into the eyes of a dog you can see there's stuff going on in its mind. I'm not sure you can do that with a bird though?

I'm ruling linnies out for now seeing as there's none local. But I've just been reading that given enough toys that parrotlets can keep themselves occupied for hours whereas cockatiels seem to require more attention.

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
Parrots are very intelligent across the board. Parrotlets will surprise you with their cleverness. They're very active little birds who will shred their toys to pieces :giggle:

·
Registered
38 Posts
My parrotlets were each in their own cages until I got this nice HQ cage. Sprout was 4 months old when he got Buddy and Buddy is just 11 days older than Sprout. We lucked out and they get along great. The do beak each other sometimes but its usually when they are preening each other and one feels like he didn't get enough time and wants to be preened more. I don't feel that they will turn on each other, but could be wrong. We have a small house and I did not have room for 4 cages in here and the double stacker I had was not very easy to clean. Good luck in whatever you choose.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Cockatiels are a nice way to go. If you find some hand raised get two. They will have each other and still want to be with you. They do require some time every day. All birds require time with you, except maybe finches. Ours are beginning to make sounds that sound like words! So even finches are a hoot!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I like both parrotlets and cockatiels equally. I guess I'll finish kitting out the indoor aviary (couple of weeks) and then see what's available. Cockatiels are easy to get hold of, there's a few breeders around here but parrotlets are harder. I know of one person with some but he's off to a bird show today so may very well come back having sold them all.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
He did sell all the parrotlets today but says he can get more for me so I'm waiting on a list of what he can get and prices :)

Still, it'll be a few weeks before I'm ready.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
So have you definitely decided on parrotlets, or at least one parrotlet?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Now with parrotlets are you getting male and female....then you might end up with babies. Two same sex birds are good. Just to let you know though if you get two you might loose out on bonding as well. You will have to spend time with each one by themselves. Sprout was getting really bonded to us when we got Buddy and then all that went out the door. He just wanted to be with Buddy also if you have two p-lets they may never talk cause they talk to each other.. Sprout used to step up but he won't anymore but if I get him out of his cage he still likes to cuddle but then he flies off to the cage Buddy is in. Little guys like that can fly pretty good even with clipped wings. If you have anymore question just ask and you can also check out Talkparrotlets.com The guy that started this site also started that one. Good luck

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
It does vary bird to bird - Midge, my female, still likes scritches and cuddles and Soleil, her mate, does talk. He does 2 different types of kisses, laughs, says baby, pretty bird, hello, hi :giggle:

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.