Parrot Forums - TalkParrots banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

A retro-message whispered from Americana's Past: Give a Song Bird for Easter.

Reactions: Mr Peepers

·
Super Moderator
5,984 Posts
I like this tradition .... however back in them ole days people didn't have half the knowledge needed in order to house and attend to a small singing birb. The poor birbs often died from black lung from people smoking in the same area with them day in day out. Cooking pan fumes. Drafts or cold breezes from windows or doors, cats or dog attacks. Gas stoves, Gas fireplaces ..... need I go on?

They were expendable pets that never saw a veterinarian and even vets were not up to par in knowledge to handle small birds.

Sad ....

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It is sad, Mr. Peepers. Just like the dyed Easter chicks and cute painted baby turtles, there was less genuine concern on how to care for these pets -- which were considered more as pretty small things or living toys to entertain the family for the short term.

As our relationship to our family pets have changed, so has our attitude as to keep our pets healthy and well taken care of. Well, this is generally the case. I know of a family that kept their dog in a crate during the day when they were away from the home for the afternoon, and thought nothing of this action. They felt that if they gave the dog free range of their home, the dog might chew on shoes or make the home a mess when they came back -- so instead of taking the time to train their doggo well -- they just locked him in a cage, when it was convenient. Poor pup! 🐶

Well, this discussion got dark fairly quick, so I think I'll lighten the mood with some happy Easter Parrots~

~

Polly want some Cadbury Cream Eggs! 🥚 🥚 🥚 ~Sweet Parakeet

Reactions: Mr Peepers
1 - 3 of 3 Posts