Parrot Forums - TalkParrots banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few weeks ago I bought a pack of Cellulose Sponges. I want to use them to wipe off the cages and clean the birds' toys and dishes and stuff. It says on the back of the bag "Not for aquarium use" and I am wondering if it is OK to use on my birds stuff? Are they toxic at all? I really have no idea. When I took one out for the first time today, I started rinsing it in a sink and the water that was rinsing it was bubbly and looked as if I was squeezing out a sponge that already had soap in it.

·
Premium Member
17,670 Posts
yeah I usually just wipe down mine too, I dunno whether or not that sounds good!

·
Registered
5,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, I just don't want there to be any chemicals in the sponges when I use them. Since it's rather cold outside and I am not taking the cages outside too often to wash them, I bought the sponges to be able to wipe down the toys and cage and stuff with maybe just some hot water.

·
Premium Member
17,670 Posts
I usually use just some cloth with warm water and it does the trick. I also have specialized cleaners for cages etc

·
Registered
5,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thought about getting a specialized cleaner on several occasions, haven't actually gotten to buying one. I use other things instead, like vinegar and things around the house. Otherwise I just use hot water.

·
Registered
5,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I use apple cider vinegar as well. The smell is absolutely AWFUL, though.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Sponges are fine for cleaning cages. I found the kind that has a scrubby side. This sponge is from walmart, and is not cellulose. Cellulose doesn't hold up to the scrubbing and vinegar. The cheap kind I use lasts a couple weeks, and I clean almost everyday now.

·
Registered
230 Posts
i use cheap scrubby sponges and vinegar too. i wipe everything off with a clean towel when i'm done. haven't had any problems.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.