·
Premium Member
17,670 Posts
How adorable :D! how old is she?

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
She's about 8 months old now. She's doing ok, I mean she's beautiful, playful with her toys, is talking a bit but she's very shy.

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
What a cutie patootie! I've heard the red bellies can be shy, it seems to be a poi thing. They have such cute little munchkin voices tho!

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
What is she saying? She sounds sweet.

·
Premium Member
17,670 Posts
I don't think I've ever seen a red belly in person. It's so sweet looking! I love the colours, the grey, red and green really contrast ^^

·
Premium Member
17,670 Posts
I was looking into red-bellied parrots. Are you sure 'she' is not a 'he'? Apparently the hens have a somewhat green belly when the males are the red ones... Just thought I'd tell you what I'd seen, you might know more considering she's your bird :giggle:

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Daisy,
The females are born with the red and it disappears as they molt. I had assumed Cherry was still a youngster. I could be wrong.

·
Premium Member
17,670 Posts
Ah! Thanks nanay, looking at everything else they hadn't said that. That would make more sense ;)

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Daisy,
I could be mistaken, but as far as I am aware all of the poicephalus species are like that. If they are sexually dimorphic as adults, the babies are all born with the most brilliant colors, and then whichever sex has less brilliant coloring in adulthood molts out the color. That is quite the opposite of lots of species, such as grass parakeets.

·
Premium Member
17,670 Posts
Yes, I can see what you mean, some birds do come into beautiful colour as well. The golden pheasant when we bought them were so dull (well the male) and when he matured he became bright red with a gorgeous golden head :D

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Daisy,
Could you post pictures of your pheasants? I strongly considered getting pheasants for a while, but at this point in my life I am no longer acquiring additional animals that live outside in the winter. I am just too old to enjoy going out in the winter weather any longer.

·
Premium Member
17,670 Posts
Yeah I can understand that. I will try and get some pics, I've only ever had a video of them running off I think seeing as they tend to run like crazy when you're around. If you look in Jennys set up thread you will see them at the end of their aviary :D

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yup nanay is totally correct! My RB is a female & when she molts, the orange will start to fade! And she has been DNA sexed bc I wanted a female & they all start off looking like males.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.