Parrot Forums - TalkParrots banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,670 Posts
Great pics! I love how baby budgies look like little aliens. When I bred them in the past I used to freak out putting their rings on because I didn't wanna hold them haha

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
I never thought about that, Daisy! I don't know how you guys band any of them, but especially not the tiny, tiny ones! My hat is off to all of you.

·
Premium Member
17,670 Posts
Hehe you just slip a closed ring over the foot with the two backwards toes being pushed up to their ankles. Gave me the creeps! Thank you nanay xD

·
Registered
353 Posts
Budgie babies creep me out too - gotta love um though. I haven't had the chance to ring any of my birds yet, none of them have hatched!

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I ring them when there older and I use food oil to slip them on easier.

·
Registered
353 Posts
That's a good idea actually, that or you could use open rings. Daisy did that for Axel I think. She had one on one of her legs that she had on when she was about 4 weeks old and when she was registered with the IBR they sent her an open one. She was fully grown at the time. Trying to get it on was so dangerous. Not for the bird - for us ;)

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That's a good idea actually, that or you could use open rings. Daisy did that for Axel I think. She had one on one of her legs that she had on when she was about 4 weeks old and when she was registered with the IBR they sent her an open one. She was fully grown at the time. Trying to get it on was so dangerous. Not for the bird - for us ;)
I tried open they pick them off that why mine are closed. :)

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
Open bands are dangerous, I really don't like them. They're dangerous to put on, easy to get off, and easy to get stuck on things :/ That's just my opinion on it, tho. I know people who use them regularly and never have a problem

·
Premium Member
17,670 Posts
I never leave them 'open' Jenny. I close them so they're literally a closed ring haha. I don't like using them but sometimes I have to.

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
But even closed like that, they can cause problems. I know you pinch them as close as you can :giggle: I've seen breeders break baby's legs when the clamps slip off the band, I've seen birds work on them for enough time they get them open and then they slip too far up or down the leg and cause serious damage, I've seen them get hooked on things with that tiny space between the ring and the bird dangles until the owners find them (saw a Grey that had chewed his foot off because he got stuck), etc. Mind you, bands in general can cause problems, open or closed, but I see a lot more problems with the open bands than closed. I do think breeders should band their birds, but my birds I've gotten get their bands removed if they're open.

The pet shop I worked at did a lot of triage and emergency vet care for our customers who couldn't get their bird to the vet (we only have one that does emergencies and she's out of the way for ppl, so they tended to stop in with us so we can stop the bleeding then they went to the vet since we were on the way there) or people who couldn't afford a vet. So we saw a lot of problems along the way. I've done a few amputations, cauterized a few wounds, pulled countless blood feathers, fixed a few broken beaks, etc. We bandaged a few broken legs from band problems and gave the bird some pain killers before they made it to the vet so the bird was more sedate and quiet for the vet too. We worked in tandem with the vet- if they came in and needed us before the vet, we would call her and ask what she wanted us to do before they made it to her :) Was fun, I learned a lot, but it was sad to see the state of some of the birds :(

·
Premium Member
17,670 Posts
Oh my gosh Jenny I've never known anybody get into much trouble over rings, I know the dangers of open rings but my birds have never really bothered with them. Every single one of my birds is rung except for my quails. They've never had any dangers from it. But I know where you're coming from. I know people do have problems with them, but the grey chewing its foot off is really shocking. I know people have a lot of problems with closed rings too, as they can also get caught on various things. Same goes for my birds of prey, they all wear 2 rings, 2 anklets, 2 jesses and some permanent flying jesses. So they're the ultimate for getting caught up. Once when I had Chalkie on a creance (training line) he went over a powerline and the creance got stuck on it. We had to try and get it off without killing him or ourselves. That was SO scary. We held the creance handle and lowered him down, I grabbed the jesses and through it off him. Urgh, never flying him there again!

As I was saying I know they can be VERY dangerous. I've never really looked into anything other than birds of prey (who HAVE to have rings) but do other birds HAVE to have them too? If they're just in my aviary etc? Because I honestly don't see the point, they're VERY dangerous...

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
I dont know if it's different outside the US but banding is recommended for tracking a bird's history and if a bird gets lost, but it's not required :thumbsup:

It's one of those 1 in 1,000,000 chance things, but it does happen

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
I am seriously considering having at least the big bird's bands removed and microchips put in. What do you all think about this? How dangerous are microchips? Do any of you know how large a bird should be in order to consider using a microchip? Naturally, I will only have my avian vet do this, and only if she thinks it is a good idea.

·
Premium Member
17,670 Posts
I am planning on getting Chalkie done nanay. I was planning Axel too. But I have no idea how to go about it. I think it's a good idea :)

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
4 chicks
[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISla1LL86EA"]YouTube - Budgie Babies[/nomedia]

Attachments

·
Premium Member
17,670 Posts
awwwh aliens :lol:

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.