Parrot Forums - TalkParrots banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys! This is my first post on here and I really need some help and suggestions! It’s going to be long but PLEASE read through.
—Kiwi, my cockatiel (2 months old) flew in the ceiling fan 4 days ago. It still pains me when I think of it!! I know ceiling fans are a BIG NO and I always make sure to switch them off while Kiwi is out of the cage but that day I was not even home, I was attending my uni. It was my aunt taking care of Kiwi and while feeding him, he got spooked of something and flew right up. (for the first time he flew so high). He then crashed with one of the blades and fell down on the floor. My aunt was terrified so she called me up and I couldn’t think straight because of panic, so I just asked her to leave him alone and keep him warm to get out of the shock. As soon as I returned home I rushed him to the vet. (A normal vet who sees birds cause we don’t have avian vets in our city). The vet visit went quite good. He examined Kiwi’s wings and said he bruised it and so it was drooping. The vet also prescribed some pain relief meds and vit supplements.
Now, since that day, Kiwi is very normal. He is eating really well, in fact, begging for food like he always does. He is very active, cuddly and alert and is also chirping like he always does. His poops are normal, nostrils, eyes and everything is normal too. He is also holding his wing up now and is stretching it, not a lot tho, along with preening it but sometimes he’d squeak in pain.
my only concern is ever since that incident, Kiwi’s voice has CHANGED! He is squeaking instead of chirping like before. His voice is scratchy and hoarse. I contacted the vet and he said it’s due to the stress/shock and he will be normal soon. This was yesterday..
Today he sounded the same and I am concerned. Do cockatiel’s voice change due to stress, shock or trauma? Will he be okay??
We literally don’t have any avian vets around and the only one (normal) we go to is 45 minutes away which stresses kiwi a lot!
Please if you can, drop your suggestions, I am really concerned for my baby :((

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I’ve never experienced that. You might want to call the avian vet and get their thoughts. But since everything else seems normal it’s probably fine to give it a little more time.
Thanks for the response! Wanted to update a little!
It’s the 8th day today after the accident, and thankfully he’s as normal as he can be!
His behaviour is really weird to me tho. I thought he had some vocal damage but 2 days ago when I came back home, he began chirping excitedly and it was his NORMAL voice! I was delighted! But as soon as I got him out of the cage, he hopped on my shoulder and began chirping in that odd voice again!
now I was confused!!! I put him back in his cage and watched him again. Kiwi began chirping again in his normal voice but as soon as I get him out he changes his voice. Idk what is this behaviour! However his voice seems to be getting better now. I am guessing maybe he is starting to mimick certain voices ? Maybe? He’s 2 months old tho.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts