·
Premium Member
17,670 Posts
it depends where you live

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
true but it does get windy and rainy where i live in the winter, but i thought that cold wind isn't good for their health...

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
What area do you live in? When it gets cold and windy, could you bring them inside? If not, you may want to build something that will shield them from the wind

·
Registered
3,245 Posts
I hope you do not get offended but , did your parents not just make you get rid of some lories? , and now you are not allowed to have the tiels in the house? I think ( and this is only my opinion) that maybe you should wait until you can move out and get your own place before getting more birds. It is not fair to the bird ( or to you) to have to be outside with out the benefit of human contact and interaction all of the time. I know you love birds and would really love to have one , but in all honesty is having one as an ornament in the backyard going to be satisfying to you? I personally would want to have my birds in the house where I can tame and train them and have them as an everyday part of my life. This is in no way meant to cut you down or discourage you , but to help you and your birds have a better relationship and life... good luck to you what ever you decide to do.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
nah it fine parrotletsrock, but my mum and dad think the lorikeets are too hard to look after and they said a cockatiel should be fine. and melbourne can get cold but the cage has a back and two of the sides do have half protection.
Em

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
I'm sorry, but I don't know anything about Australian climates. However, Kate lives in Australia, and I believe she has outdoor aviaries. She gives great information, and perhaps she can advise you.

Reactions: Abby

·
Premium Member
17,670 Posts
If you're going to keep the bird outside then I recommend you have an aviary not a cage

·
Premium Member
17,670 Posts
what we're saying is there is a cage and there is an aviary, a cage would only be suited indoors and an aviary can be either :D

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
Cage or aviary, either can go outside as long as they have a sheltered portion of the enclosure out of wind, rain, and sun. Aviaries withstand the outdoors longer simply because they're built for it and they're larger, so more comfortable for the birds. We've kept cages outside before without a problem because they were in a sheltered area - we had cockatiels in them, ironically enough :giggle: They lived outdoors year round unless it got below 60 degrees F outside, then they came inside

·
Premium Member
17,670 Posts
Jenny I can see that keeping them under shelter is fine :) I just wouldn't stick a cage outside 24/7 if it was to be exposed is all hehe. I like to take the birds out for sun though while they're in their cages :D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.