Parrot Forums - TalkParrots banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just adopted a cockatoo 4 days ago and she has taken to me but every time I leave the room she screams until I come back I don't want to stress her out by waiting until she stops due to her being a plucker please tell me how to handle this

·
Administrator
6,830 Posts
Welcome to Talk Parrots fellow Cannuck! And congrats for taking in a lovely "too" .... the reason they scream when you leave the room is called a Flock Call. The birds is calling you to lead you back to her, its their way of saying, "COME BACK ... I NEED YOU ... I can't live without you!''

Unfortunately its a loud call and I can see you have concerns with her plucking so all you can do for now is yell back to her so she can hear you are close by when you are in another room. You can start to try and train her with distraction and treats for good behavior, leave the room and call to her when she flock calls. When she hears you and has stopped calling frantically and seems to have settled down, go back in the room and praise her with a happy excited voice and give her a favorite food treat.

Do this several times a day, she will catch on quickly because she wants you and the praise and attention to keep on coming. Basically you and her will be training each other.

Play music in the room she is in, don't leave her in a quiet atmosphere as it can spook her and unnerve her, music can be calming and a voice she needs when you are not in the room.

I hope she settles in happily and I'd love to hear how you are doing. Best of luck to you both!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts