Parrot Forums - TalkParrots banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering getting another parrot, and I'm thinking about conures.

I'm really good with animals and would be able to train him well.

I am most likely getting a green cheek (or a maroon bellied, but I've heard they're very alike)

I know I could scroll through websites getting all the facts, but I'd like some real opinions from owners. And please be honest, I'd like to be prepared if I get one.

Can I please have some help?

If you could answer any of these questions I would be very pleased.

1. I know they are not noisy compared to other conure species, but when they go off, would they really upset a small household?

2. Do they require lots and lots of time?
I am busy for 6 hours except for the weekends, but the time I am home I will devote it to my pet.

3. This may be a stupid question, but do you think a cat would bother a GCC?

4. How big does they're cage need to be?

5. Are they very nippy or temperamental?

6. What is they're talking/trick ability like? It's not really an issue, but I'm just curious.

7. anything else?

Thanks.

If you have anything else please tell me.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have been looking into conures, too, and found this website to have some good basic knowledge about conures.

http://conurecommunity.com/

These folks are good re questions and the best time for questions is to ask them before buying as you are doing.

Good luck, Janet

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you.

Conures are very hard birds to research! One site says they're quite, another says they'll pop your ear drums. Their cuddly, then their nippy!

This site helped!

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
Green Cheeks are pretty much the quietest conures, very sweet and outgoing, but can be a little nippy if you're not careful :thumbsup:

·
Registered
212 Posts
I've had my green cheek for a few days now... she is the biggest cuddle bug, but can be nippy.... it reminds me of a mouthy puppy. The only time I've been bit is when I've accidently hit a blood feather... or when I've held a glass, or my blackberry... she doesn't like when we hold those things. We are working on teaching her to let us use them. In the few days, there has been progress :)

In terms of noise, she is very quiet. I have a pacific parrotlet and at her loudest, she is just a little bit louder then Jack..... that said, she is very quiet.

·
Registered
662 Posts
If green cheeks are the quietest my three haven't heard that rumor! They can be the mouthiest loudest birds I have heard outside of a macaw for loudness. Its not an all the time or all day thing but I'm talking loud and obnoxious if I forget the bath or fresh food is slow in arriving! When we get up Remmy is a little monster till I uncover him and give a hello! I think they are spoiled!

·
Registered
392 Posts
:lol: Brute, so true, my Ozzy has quite a mouth on him when he want's too, but I don't mind his chatter, cause he's just usually going through his vocab.
Ella, all the info you have found so far is accurate, they are very active, playful, little birds who can be the cuddliest little buggers ever, but then they can suddenly say "OK I've had enough of this" and give you a nip to let you know it. :lol: I think their playful natures far outweigh their reps for being nippy, they are very entertaining. They do like to be involved in the family activity, so you should try to spend as much time with them as you can. They love toys, they're always "busy", so the biggest cage you can supply, with lots of toys will make for a very happy GCC. :biggrin5: Their talking ability is quite good, they have scratchy little voices, but are understandable, they can learn tricks too, my Ozzy waves and shakes hands, he will also return toys to his toy bin when asked to ( if he's in the mood :lol: ), and dance. All in all I think GCC'c are great little birds who will bring you lot's of laughs. :biggrin5:

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
They all seem so different!
Thanks so much, I'm really starting to get an idea of whether they'd be right for me.

And, so far, it's looking good!

I'm so excited! I really hope I can track one down!

·
Registered
685 Posts
My GCC is awesome! She will bite but it's nothing I'm scared of, she's sweet, smart, loving, cuddly & trying to talk...she always wistles. This species is the best bird I've ever owned. LOL

·
Registered
127 Posts
Any other opinions?

1. I know they are not noisy compared to other conure species, but when they go off, would they really upset a small household?

GCC can get loud, however I don't think it would really upset a normal household. Not like the bigger parrots. If you can handle a cockatiel or lovebird I think a GCC would be very tolerable.

2. Do they require lots and lots of time?
I am busy for 6 hours except for the weekends, but the time I am home I will devote it to my pet.

As long as you provide it with lots of toys and lots of variety, spending as much time with it as you can it should be fine. They do require more challenging toys than budgies and tiels though.

3. This may be a stupid question, but do you think a cat would bother a GCC?

Any cat I have come across has been obsessed with lovebirds and I don't know why. We have tons of parrots in the house but they always go towards the lovies???:giggle:
Honestly though a cat is a cat and I would never trust one. Not even one like our Duster who outwardly couldn't care less about the birds.

4. How big does they're cage need to be?

Bigger is always better. Leroy has a large Hagen cage, but spends most of his day out and about while we are home. If your GCC will be in his cage for 6 hrs out of the day I would go for the biggest cage you can.

5. Are they very nippy or temperamental?

I think this depends on the individual bird. Ours as I said before is very shy and quiet. We had visits with him and his clutchmate prior to weaning and chose him for this trait. Others can be very outgoing and some can be tempermental and dominating. Find a good breeder and visit with the babies before choosing one. Take time to ask questions and get an idea of how the babies are raised. That way you know what you are getting in to.

6. What is they're talking/trick ability like? It's not really an issue, but I'm just curious.

Again this tends to vary by individual bird. Some are really adept with it, others couldn't be bothered. They do have the ability though and the more time you spend with it the more likely they will talk or do tricks.

7. anything else?

An absolutely wonderful parrot without the large size. Full of surprises and a wonderful companion. Though like most parrots they choose "their" person they are more social and willing to accept multiple handlers than some of the larger parrots.

GCC are an excellent choice for families and for young children (under the guidance of an adult of course).

I hope that this is helpful to you in making your decision!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.