Parrot Forums - TalkParrots banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read about these conures online back in the fall and was lucky enough to find a breeder nearby that has a pair. Unfortunately her pair had not gone back to nest. Well she emailed me yesterday and said that they had finally gone back to nest, and I asked her to keep me posted.

Does anyone here have one? Or have any experiences with them?

We have a Greencheek right now and the 2 Splendid Parakeets. I love the playful character of Conures, but need them to be on the quieter end of the conure noise spectrum. I have also read that they are not nippy like Green Cheeks tend to be, which is what I'd like. Our Green cheek is a bugger sometimes!

·
Registered
887 Posts
I don't have one but I have hand raised a few of them. From what I have seen they are sweet little birds. They do appear to be sweeter than Green Cheeks of which I have 2 that have been hand raised and have hand raised them in the past. Crimson Bellies also seem to be quite like the Green Cheek.

·
Registered
662 Posts
We have 3 green cheeks and a black cap and they all are somewhat noisy. I think you will find the crimson bellies are about the same. I went to avianweb.com to get info and see pics. Oh my they are pretty. How lucky for you to have a chance at one!

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Our green cheek is quiet over all. She/he just has those more vocal times, and sometimes has singing competitions with the Splendid Parakeet male (he wins for vocal talent, but Kermit drowns him out with volume level!). Sounds like a crimson would fit in well if hubby agrees to it. That's the hard part! lol

·
Registered
340 Posts
It always is!!!:biggrin5:

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Jen,
Birds4Alice on the linnie forum has both scarlet chesteds and green cheeks. She is not the only one, but I can't remember who else has them.
The gal who owns the bird store I frequent also has both. Everyone I've inquired of has told me the same thing. They all say that the scarlet chesteds are a bit louder, but make the same kinds of noises as green cheeks. (Not lots louder, just a bit louder and of the same type.) Additionally, all say the scarlet chesteds in general are a bit gentler than the green cheeks in general. This is not to say you wouldn't end up with a quieter scarlet chested than your particular green cheek or a less gentle scarlet chested than your particular green cheek. However, in general, these seem to be the norm.
They are certainly beautiful.

·
Registered
509 Posts
I've heard crimson bellies are pretty much like green cheeks, maroon belly's ect in terms of personality.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Ive heard that the small conures are all similar in personality, although green cheeks are the quietest.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have had the pleasure of having a crimson bellied conure for a few months now. He is an absolute delight! He is just turning a year old and has been very affectionate from day 1. He loves to cuddle and come out to play but he's content to be in his big cage during the day while we are at work. He is not noisy, he mostly makes a quiet quacking noise (just like a duck!) when he is happy or excited. It's not loud though. I know we haven't had him a very long time but he's a great bird. We live in a condo so noise was a concern when we were looking at birds but the only time he is loud is right when we come home from work. He hears the key in the door and makes a few calls out to us until we say hello and then he calms right back down. He's been very good with other people too. I hear they are like green cheeks in temperament except a bit more calm. Do it!

·
Premium Member
17,670 Posts
I have had the pleasure of having a crimson bellied conure for a few months now. He is an absolute delight! He is just turning a year old and has been very affectionate from day 1. He loves to cuddle and come out to play but he's content to be in his big cage during the day while we are at work. He is not noisy, he mostly makes a quiet quacking noise (just like a duck!) when he is happy or excited. It's not loud though. I know we haven't had him a very long time but he's a great bird. We live in a condo so noise was a concern when we were looking at birds but the only time he is loud is right when we come home from work. He hears the key in the door and makes a few calls out to us until we say hello and then he calms right back down. He's been very good with other people too. I hear they are like green cheeks in temperament except a bit more calm. Do it!
Sad to say but this thread was from 2010 :eek: I hope somebody looking for information sees this though haha!

·
Premium Member
17,670 Posts
It's a shame because they're a delightful alternative to the green cheeks!

·
Registered
621 Posts
aha that's kinda awesome I had been wondering the same thing months back.

There were two Crimson Bellies at a pet store in my city. They were both housed with a Rose Crown Conure, which it seems almost no one has even more so than the Crimson Bellies.

I had looked and asked around and there wasn't much info. I was told the same info about how Crimsons are slightly larger and can be quieter than other conures but range in the same sounds as Green cheeks. They also tend to have a sweeter disposition and don't like to nip or bite as often as Green cheeks. I had been back and forth visiting all of them for around a month before I decided on a conure and I picked the one I didn't initially go there for. I desperately wanted the crimson as I had been in love for a while, but i went with the Rose Crown.

I never once regretted my decision because the Rose crown was so loveable...also was being picked on by the other two and had no tail feathers. She is only now starting to grow some of them back. She steps up, doesn't really bite and loves scritches.

I have some pictures below of the three of them the two Crimsons and my baby Zoey

·
Registered
1,616 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,332 Posts
Zoey's sweet, I don't think I've seen the rose crown conures before most of the people I know have the crimson belly ones.

Great pics. :)

·
Registered
621 Posts
Yes but at least twice the price here anyway.
yeah the crimsons were $688 for each or $800 for two when I first walked in Zoey was the same but I talked them down since she had been there for about a year... I think I paid $488 for Zoey

·
Registered
621 Posts
Zoey's sweet, I don't think I've seen the rose crown conures before most of the people I know have the crimson belly ones.

Great pics. :)
Thanks, yeah she seems to be a rare thing...Which to me is cool cause then I can be like yup I have one :D but also the downfall is there isn't much info on them.

I should start a forum post just to see how many people have them... Or maybe a blog or website or something with my own info :D:D problem is I don't know how to design a website (Tech Savy I am not) or how to do a blog.

·
Premium Member
17,670 Posts
If you want a species enough to own one then I don't see why the price would be an issue as long as the owner could afford it. It's the rest of the costs that sting me haha

Reactions: Mr Peepers
1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.