Parrot Forums - TalkParrots banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm doing some research on lovebirds tonight.

I remember a few months ago, I was at a pet store that specializes in birds, and I came across a couple of lovebirds. The label in front of their cage said "fischer's lovebird", and they were close to parrotlet sized.

They looked EXACTLY like the lovebird in this picture: http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_jZHHRfnq9F8/SRji-Ar6jUI/AAAAAAAAHeA/yN6clrTRNpA/s400/Masked_Lovebird.jpg

My real question is, what type of lovebirds are there? And what's the difference between a TYPE and a mutation?

Google is really confusing me in my research. It's telling me that "peach faced lovebirds" are a type. I always thought they were a mutation of what I would call "regular" lovebirds.

So what's the difference between fischer's and other lovebirds? Are "peach faced lovebirds" a type of lovebird and are there different mutations in that type? :confused:

Sorry but I'm really confused. I've never really learned anything about lovebirds :shrug:

·
Premium Member
17,670 Posts
There is no 'regular' lovebird, but that is usually the peach faced. There is also the fischer's, masked, grey headed, red faced, black winged, nyasa, black cheeked, black collared.

Those are all species (types).

Mutations are just those in different colours due to a gene

Reactions: nanay

·
Premium Member
17,670 Posts
The bird in the picture by the way is a masked lovebird

·
Registered
3,142 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks everyone :)

So then what type of lovebirds were the ones I saw at the bird store? :confused:

As I said they were really tiny, almost parrotlet sized. But their colors were that of a black mask. Is that just the size of all black masked lovebirds?

All other lovebirds I've ever seen have been much bigger. And then before I saw those little lovebirds in person, whenever I saw a black mask in a picture, I always thought they were the same size as the peach faced o_O

·
Premium Member
17,670 Posts
black masked can be a little smaller but all lovebirds are bigger than parrotlets from what I have seen.

They would be black masked or black cheeked.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hmm. Now that you mention it, I think the lovebirds may have been black cheeked ones after all. I just Googled the black cheeks and they look smaller than the black masked ones. Plus I looked up videos on YouTube of them, and they look smaller than black masks on there as well.

I just remember the bright red beak, the ring around the eyes, and the black face. So maybe I'm remembering the finer details a little wrong.

Either way though, thanks for clearing that all up for me. I guess the bird store either had them mislabeled or it was an old label they never took down. Definitely not a fischer's lovebird :)

·
Premium Member
17,670 Posts
hehe glad to help, maybe you should tell them.

The collage I'm going to have a few birds and the one of them is an orange-winged amazon. They label it as green-winged amazon, I got very angry and told them to change it :lol:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So then what types of black masked lovebirds are there?

From what Google is saying, there's the green, blue, cobalt blue, and dark blue masked lovebirds. I don't know how to tell the difference between all the blues though. And I also have seen a few pictures of an all grey masked lovebird that Google isn't mentioning. Lol.

Can you help explain all those to me? xD

·
Premium Member
17,670 Posts
there are all kinds but I wouldn't even have a chance of naming them!

Go on google images and type in masked lovebird mutations. I found HUNDREDS of pictures of the weirdest and the most common mutations, they grey ones and pied ones are awesome

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.