Parrot Forums - TalkParrots banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This photo of a collection of Adelie penguins remind me of a stop-action film strip of one penguin doing the dive from the iceberg cliff. I love it!

Reactions: Mr Peepers

·
Super Moderator
6,038 Posts
This photo of a collection of Adelie penguins remind me of a stop-action film strip of one penguin doing the dive from the iceberg cliff. I love it!

View attachment 24300

View attachment 24301

I like your theory .... however I like the idea that they are all separate and imagine they are all screaming something loud and delightful like, "WEEEEE!!!" .... and "WOO HOO!" or ''HOLY POOP!" as they dive or jump in the ice cold water. I'm sure a couple of them use rather naughty expletives as well. :LOL:

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I like your theory .... however I like the idea that they are all separate and imagine they are all screaming something loud and delightful like, "WEEEEE!!!" .... and "WOO HOO!" or ''HOLY POOP!" as they dive or jump in the ice cold water. I'm sure a couple of them use rather naughty expletives as well. :LOL:
Delightful response, Mr. Peepers! You have the makings of a great nature film director -- the way you can get into the head of your talent. By any chance, did you watch a lot of Chilly Willy cartoons as a child?

·
Super Moderator
6,038 Posts
Delightful response, Mr. Peepers! You have the makings of a great nature film director -- the way you can get into the head of your talent. By any chance, did you watch a lot of Chilly Willy cartoons as a child?

View attachment 24302
Nope .... no Chilly Willy where I lived as a kid. We didn't even have CASPER THE FRIENDLY GHOST!

We lived on a Military Base in the middle of no where so there was no cable tv. We used one of those tall weird armed antenna's that were STUCK/IMPALED into the roof of our house, it had a weird flat wire that came down from the antenna and was stuck through a hole in the window ledge and came into the living room. Semi exposed wire from a tall metal pole dangling from the roof during thunder and lightning storms to a house that didn't have 3 prong plugs back then because the house was a war house over 70 years old.

Everything was so SAFE back then .... I always wondered why my parents use to turn off the tv and unplug it during storms. PLUS! they made us wear running shoes in the house during rain storms .... ever try to sleep in running shoes?

We didn't have that fancy schmancy metal triangle type antenna you strapped to the side of the house that went up to the roof, those were cool because as a kid you could climb those and get on the roof and make your mom scream at you! Then dad came home and heard you were on the roof and he would beat you ... THE GOOD OLE DAYS!

Where was I? oh yeah .... no cable tv! We did get Channel 9 in Toronto, Channel 5 in Toronto = CBC and that was it. We had the obligatory free cartoons on at 6am on Channel 9, ''The New Adventures of Pinocchio'' which I think were stop animation or clay animation? And ... ''The Wizard of OZ,'' a very badly made cartoon that I liked because the Munchkins were on Crack and it felt like you were drugged or dreaming when you watched the WIZ.

Holy SMOKES .... there is video of these shows!

In the Funny Place called the WORLD OF OZZZZ!!!!!!!!!!

DAMN .... I'm old!

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nope .... no Chilly Willy where I lived as a kid. We didn't even have CASPER THE FRIENDLY GHOST!

We lived on a Military Base in the middle of no where so there was no cable tv. We used one of those tall weird armed antenna's that were STUCK/IMPALED into the roof of our house, it had a weird flat wire that came down from the antenna and was stuck through a hole in the window ledge and came into the living room. Semi exposed wire from a tall metal pole dangling from the roof during thunder and lightning storms to a house that didn't have 3 prong plugs back then because the house was a war house over 70 years old.

View attachment 24305

Everything was so SAFE back then .... I always wondered why my parents use to turn off the tv and unplug it during storms. PLUS! they made us wear running shoes in the house during rain storms .... ever try to sleep in running shoes?

We didn't have that fancy schmancy metal triangle type antenna you strapped to the side of the house that went up to the roof, those were cool because as a kid you could climb those and get on the roof and make your mom scream at you! Then dad came home and heard you were on the roof and he would beat you ... THE GOOD OLE DAYS!

View attachment 24306

Where was I? oh yeah .... no cable tv! We did get Channel 9 in Toronto, Channel 5 in Toronto = CBC and that was it. We had the obligatory free cartoons on at 6am on Channel 9, ''The New Adventures of Pinocchio'' which I think were stop animation or clay animation? And ... ''The Wizard of OZ,'' a very badly made cartoon that I liked because the Munchkins were on Crack and it felt like you were drugged or dreaming when you watched the WIZ.

Holy SMOKES .... there is video of these shows!

In the Funny Place called the WORLD OF OZZZZ!!!!!!!!!!

DAMN .... I'm old!

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes, I remember both of those cartoons -- early animation productions of Rankin-Bass -- who would later create the Christmas perennial favourite Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer. As a child, I lived in the suburb of Clarkson, in Mississauga, near Toronto, and I remember watching early television -- Mr. Ed, Leave it to Beaver, Quick Draw McGraw (the horse character by Hanna-Barbera) and others, all without the aid of cable, or high-powered antenna. Later, our family moved to Hamilton, where the signal was strong enough to pick up Buffalo, NY as well as Hamilton's CHCH -- again, without cable. I think it was during this time period (or perhaps a little later) when I watched the Woody Woodpecker Show with Chilly Willy as a secondary character, having cartoons of his own -- created by Tex Avery for Walter Lantz.

As an artist interested in the history of American animation (a cartoon nerd -- you might say) I've been enjoying watching the background of early (and later) animation on YouTube.

Chilly Willy cartoons

The unassuming Chilly Willy was a bit like a combination of Tweety Bird and Roadrunner -- always silent, but cute, with a big dog adversary trying to take the little guy down.

My sister sent me a Chilly Willy nightshirt a few Christmases ago -- and it is still an evening bedtime fashion favourite of mine.💙

·
Super Moderator
6,038 Posts
Yes, I remember both of those cartoons -- early animation productions of Rankin-Bass -- who would later create the Christmas perennial favourite Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer. As a child, I lived in the suburb of Clarkson, in Mississauga, near Toronto, and I remember watching early television -- Mr. Ed, Leave it to Beaver, Quick Draw McGraw (the horse character by Hanna-Barbera) and others, all without the aid of cable, or high-powered antenna. Later, our family moved to Hamilton, where the signal was strong enough to pick up Buffalo, NY as well as Hamilton's CHCH -- again, without cable. I think it was during this time period (or perhaps a little later) when I watched the Woody Woodpecker Show with Chilly Willy as a secondary character, having cartoons of his own -- created by Tex Avery for Walter Lantz.

As an artist interested in the history of American animation (a cartoon nerd -- you might say) I've been enjoying watching the background of early (and later) animation on YouTube.

Chilly Willy cartoons

The unassuming Chilly Willy was a bit like a combination of Tweety Bird and Roadrunner -- always silent, but cute, with a big dog adversary trying to take the little guy down.

My sister sent me a Chilly Willy nightshirt a few Christmases ago -- and it is still an evening bedtime fashion favourite of mine.💙
I don't remember Chilly Willy at all ... odd that.

As we fall down the rabbit hole of history cartoon land .... I have to laugh that we both watched these old shows and found something about them artistically that touched us.

Other cartoons we haven't mentioned .... "The FLINTSTONES!" Casper the Friendly Ghost. Warner Brother's Looney Tunes - so many characters from that. The Jetson's. Scooby Dooooooo! Mighty Mouse. Yogi Bear, JONNY QUEST!

So many entertaining kids shows back then and I didn't get ANY of these shows where I lived! The only time I got to watch these programs was when I stayed at my cousin's house for the summer every year when school ended. They had cable ... they lived in Peterborough. ON. LOL

Saturday morning we put the toaster on the coffee table with an extension cord plugged into an outlet in the living room somewhere. We had a couple of loaves of bread on the table as well as a pound of soft creamery butter, a few plates, knives and spoons to spread the home made grape or rhubarb jam on our freshly toasted wonder bread as we watch hours of TOONS.

The gooder ole days!

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I don't remember Chilly Willy at all ... odd that.

As we fall down the rabbit hole of history cartoon land .... I have to laugh that we both watched these old shows and found something about them artistically that touched us.

Other cartoons we haven't mentioned .... "The FLINTSTONES!" Casper the Friendly Ghost. Warner Brother's Looney Tunes - so many characters from that. The Jetson's. Scooby Dooooooo! Mighty Mouse. Yogi Bear, JONNY QUEST!

So many entertaining kids shows back then and I didn't get ANY of these shows where I lived! The only time I got to watch these programs was when I stayed at my cousin's house for the summer every year when school ended. They had cable ... they lived in Peterborough. ON. LOL

Saturday morning we put the toaster on the coffee table with an extension cord plugged into an outlet in the living room somewhere. We had a couple of loaves of bread on the table as well as a pound of soft creamery butter, a few plates, knives and spoons to spread the home made grape or rhubarb jam on our freshly toasted wonder bread as we watch hours of TOONS.

The gooder ole days!
Well, Mr. P., no matter if I lived in Clarkson, Hamilton, or Wallaceburg, Ontario -- I was always able to watch Saturday morning cartoons without the aid of cable or high-powered antenna. And since many of these shows in the mid-1960's were created by Hanna-Barbara, they were the iconic Space Ghost, Scooby-Doo, Yogi Bear, Johnny Quest, Birdman and friends. Today the characters from these shows have become memes and fodder for parody on Adult Swim. I get a big laugh at Harvey Birdman, Attorney at Law and The Venture Brothers. Harvey Birdman often brings in recognizable Hanna-Barbara characters and makes a spicy case for their defence before the judge -- I often find these episodes hillarious -- but J. can't make head or tail of these cartoons. The same goes for The Venture Brothers, which is a parody of Johnny Quest -- but I've noticed that the latest shows have become more violent, and with more sex-related comedic content to make them more exciting (?)

My older sister, Janet, and I collected comic books during our teen years -- and in between the pages of a DC Superman or Batman comic book would be an ad for the upcoming Saturday morning cartoon line-up for the Fall for Super-Friends (Justice League, Batman, Superman, and Wonder Woman) Space Ghost, and Captain Planet and the Planeteers.
So, the comic book advertisement added to our anticipation for some great Saturday morning animation -- animation anticipation -- whatever our television stations could deliver.

By the way, Janet and I would draw comic book characters in our spare time, and we had our favourites. Janet especially liked female superheroes, and could draw them very well. I could draw Superman, Batman and the Flash, but did not fill up the pages of a plain white writing tablet as often as she did. She was fond of drawing Wonder Woman in various poses, as well as Supergirl and Lois Lane. And you can catch her style today on her website Best-Destiny.com :Janet Hetherington's Best Destiny, with her artist-partner, Ronn Sutton.

Besides self-publishing her orginal character comic books, Janet has been spending her spare time these days writing movie scripts and had been very instrumental with the development of Ottawa's comic convention, MapleCon, in the past. This was where I met my first husband, a comic book illustrator, with a disasterous ending. >sighs< Luckily I was able to pick up the pieces of that life, and join forces with J. to do much better these days. 😉

Hmmmm ~ a long reply from Chilly Willy to favourite comic books & artists -- but such are the ways of a good chit-chat having nothing to do with parrots or parakeets. LOL

·
Super Moderator
6,038 Posts
Well, Mr. P., no matter if I lived in Clarkson, Hamilton, or Wallaceburg, Ontario -- I was always able to watch Saturday morning cartoons without the aid of cable or high-powered antenna. And since many of these shows in the mid-1960's were created by Hanna-Barbara, they were the iconic Space Ghost, Scooby-Doo, Yogi Bear, Johnny Quest, Birdman and friends. Today the characters from these shows have become memes and fodder for parody on Adult Swim. I get a big laugh at Harvey Birdman, Attorney at Law and The Venture Brothers. Harvey Birdman often brings in recognizable Hanna-Barbara characters and makes a spicy case for their defence before the judge -- I often find these episodes hillarious -- but J. can't make head or tail of these cartoons. The same goes for The Venture Brothers, which is a parody of Johnny Quest -- but I've noticed that the latest shows have become more violent, and with more sex-related comedic content to make them more exciting (?)

My older sister, Janet, and I collected comic books during our teen years -- and in between the pages of a DC Superman or Batman comic book would be an ad for the upcoming Saturday morning cartoon line-up for the Fall for Super-Friends (Justice League, Batman, Superman, and Wonder Woman) Space Ghost, and Captain Planet and the Planeteers.
So, the comic book advertisement added to our anticipation for some great Saturday morning animation -- animation anticipation -- whatever our television stations could deliver.

By the way, Janet and I would draw comic book characters in our spare time, and we had our favourites. Janet especially liked female superheroes, and could draw them very well. I could draw Superman, Batman and the Flash, but did not fill up the pages of a plain white writing tablet as often as she did. She was fond of drawing Wonder Woman in various poses, as well as Supergirl and Lois Lane. And you can catch her style today on her website Best-Destiny.com :Janet Hetherington's Best Destiny, with her artist-partner, Ronn Sutton.

Besides self-publishing her orginal character comic books, Janet has been spending her spare time these days writing movie scripts and had been very instrumental with the development of Ottawa's comic convention, MapleCon, in the past. This was where I met my first husband, a comic book illustrator, with a disasterous ending. >sighs< Luckily I was able to pick up the pieces of that life, and join forces with J. to do much better these days. 😉

Hmmmm ~ a long reply from Chilly Willy to favourite comic books & artists -- but such are the ways of a good chit-chat having nothing to do with parrots or parakeets. LOL
HARVEY BIRBMAN .... is one of my favorite shows today. The Comedy Network won when they recreated that toon into what it is.

Interesting that you and your sister were so Artistically gifted and look where it led both of you .... I am impressed at Janet & Ronn's work and cool they got to work with ELVIRA .... Cassandra Peterson is a very cool lady! Thanks for the link to their site there is lots to see on there.

I'm glad you and J met and you picked up the pieces and are moving on up! Thanks for the heads up about The Venture Bro's ... I will look that up and see if I can find links to it. Jonny Quest was one of my favorite cartoons as a kid.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts