Parrot Forums - TalkParrots banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I sent off Echo aka Sundance's dna test yesterday but for some reason I'am predicting Echo is a girl also her behavior is strange I don't know if it's hormones or what , she was fine when we got her now she won't let my husband go near her if he trys to pick her up no matter where she is she will lunge at him and bite him she wasn't like this until yesterday that's why I'am wondering if it's hormones
are Sunconures a one person bird? need some feed back please

·
Premium Member
17,670 Posts
I do not know much about sun conures but perhaps the bird is jealous. If the bird is fine with you, but not your husband then it could be a male for the fact that it may like you and feel intimidated by another man in the house. Especially knowing that he is only lunging at your husband

·
Registered
5,750 Posts
I think Sun Conures can be one person birds, especially if not properly socialized.
And she's OK with you handling her? Maybe if you leave the room and then let your husband try to handle her alone? I'm not quite sure. Maybe she sees your husband as competition, or a rival?

·
Registered
993 Posts
I would try to get your husband to spend some one on one time with her even if its giving treats through the bars and talking to her, Sunnies can be moody, my sun used to love my 3 year old neice and then one day she came in the bird room and he was acting like he wanted to kill her from the cage. Maybe he accidently did something that offended her I hear they can hold a grudge when they want to.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Deby,
Any progress regarding the sun conures behavior and your husband?

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
if I'am not in the same room as hubby and Echo cannot see me or hear me then he will go to hubby but if he can see me or hear me then he doesn't want anything to do with hubby, Echo is very hormonal right now as I found out when he was trying to hump my hand a gave me some of his dinner on my arm ewwwwwww
he loves his mommy

·
Premium Member
17,670 Posts
that made me chuckle :lol:

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
:giggle: Goober does that. One trick to help with some of the hormonal behavior is to only pet his head, no wings, back, etc. And don't spend long periods of time snuggling (I know, it's not easy, but only until he mellows out some). Intense preening sessions, especially full body preening, is only done by pair bonded and mated birds in the wild and it reinforces in their mind you're not just his friend, but his mate. If you can distance a touch from him, it will help with the jealousy and protective/possessive issues too

I did this with Goober and I limited myself to 10 mins at a time snuggling, and just petting her head. After a month or two of this, I've started spending time snuggling on the couch again for a long time and petting her body and she's fine with it, no barfing or humping lol. I also try to spend more time playing with her, not just snuggling, so we still spend bonding time together but it's enriching for her, fun for us both, and she still loves me most :giggle:

She's gotten to be very tolerant of Gareth tho, he was able to tickle her tummy and feet for the first time yesterday :D She steps up for him 90% of the time on her playstand but not out of her cage. He can usually coax her out of the cage tho by putting her stand nearby. He's the best ;) I came home from work late yesterday and he went to my house, gave her fresh food and water in her cage and on her stand, and got her out of the cage for me

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ty thats great information I cannot get Echo to play on a playstand as of yet when I put him on one he looks at me like what do you want me to do and jumps off and he is scared to death of foot toys, it's going to take a while for him to get use to things

·
Premium Member
17,670 Posts
Awh Jenny your man sounds like the perfect guy hehe!

Reactions: Jenny
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.