Parrot Forums - TalkParrots banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just adopted a new baby yesterday. I'm getting a Senegal, her name is Kiwi. She's still not weaned so I can't take her yet but I'm super excited. Been totally cage shopping. She's 8 weeks old & I named her Kiwi to go with my all fruit theme. :rofl:

What do you house your Poi in? Pics?

·
Registered
662 Posts
Woohoo!!!
I know you are going to love Kiwi and have a great time with him!
We gave Cayenne a flight cage on wheels. 32x20x42. He is loving it and strutting the roof! I am sure he uses it all when we are not home.

Senegals chew wood a lot. So don't bother with cute plastic toys, its wood they want to destroy. And they can go through a ten dollar wood toy in 15 minutes, so you will want to make some to keep up with him!

·
Registered
60 Posts
congrats! :) they are wonderful birds :) i have a senegal named Rista. i dont know the size of her cage as she was a rehome and i got the cage with her. but heres a pic :)

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Congratulations apple!
I have a senegal named Roni. She is housed in a 24X24 cage that looks much the same as the one in the pictures Jamie posted. I read that it is a good idea to put senegals in a deep cage as opposed to a wide but narrow cage if you have to choose one or the other. This is because of their tendancy to develop "phobic reactions". Roni seems happy with her cage and uses every inch of it. I think she would use an even bigger cage had I bought one. Her cage has vertical bars on two sides and horizontal bars on the other two. She climbs all over, top, sides, and bottom, with seeming ease. The bar orientation doesn't seem to bother her either way; however, I do notice that when she gets off of one of her swinging toys, and she LOVES her swinging toys, she exits onto the horizontal bars if she possibly can. Therefore, I guess I would look for a cage with at least half horizontal bars. Her cage has 3/4" bar spacing, but she could also do fine in 1/2" bar spacing.
I have never met anyone who owns a senegal, brown head, or meyers who does not recommend them for others. We all seem to adore our poicephalus.
I bought a book about poicephalus before I brought Roni home, and I am glad I did. It is perhaps only psychological, but I feel the information has helped me make better choices with her. She is delightful.
Again, congratulations!

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
That looks like a great cage for Kiwi.

It looks like you have a linnie. Apple is a linnie, right?

I have fallen in love with a cobalt linnie at the bird store where we got Stanley and Roni. I am infatuated with her. She is a bit older, nearly 18 months.

I am saving up for her, and if she is still available when I've gotten the cash together, I'll bring her home, too.

Kiwi will be worth the wait. I am sure of it.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That looks like a great cage for Kiwi.

It looks like you have a linnie. Apple is a linnie, right?

I have fallen in love with a cobalt linnie at the bird store where we got Stanley and Roni. I am infatuated with her. She is a bit older, nearly 18 months.

I am saving up for her, and if she is still available when I've gotten the cash together, I'll bring her home, too.

Kiwi will be worth the wait. I am sure of it.
Yes Apple is a Linnie. I'm going to be breeding Linnies soon. :) Cool on you getting one, they are truly awesome birds!

·
Registered
509 Posts
:congrat:

I can't wait to see some pics and here more about Kiwi!
I'm sure you wont regret it, from what I know, Sennies are gorgeous pets, I have never owned one but wish I could!

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Never any regrets. :) I can not wait to share here with you all. lol

She is getting another cage....lol This one for our rec room. LOL!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.