Parrot Forums - TalkParrots banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted to make a thread to show you all the emerald macaw because some may have never seen it. I personally haven't seen one on life but I have seen a few pictures so I will share them.

It is a hybrid between the hyacinth and Buffon's but generally looking at the bird itself you would assume it was one big green hyacinth haha.

They're mega cute and mega big and I really wish people would breed them. Give me a fair few years and I may be doing so hehe. I really want some!

Another hybrid called the milicinth has also been made. Obviously a hyacinth and military. I will also upload a pic of that :)

The last bird is the milicinth!

Attachments

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
The emerald macaw is the only hybrid I ever found attractive, to be honest :giggle: I'm personally not a proponent of hybridizing the hyacinths, since they are so hard to breed and endangered, but I can understand why people would - they are beautiful :)

·
Premium Member
17,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah I see where you're coming from. I love most hybrids. My faves have got to be the harlequins, catalinas and camelots but then I found this and thought it was amazing hehe.

I do however see the problem with hybridizing macaws such as the hyacinth though because they're generally difficult to breed + they need to breed otherwise we'll run out D: !!

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
There is a wide variety in the faces.

·
Premium Member
17,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
In the faces? What do you mean? Like appearance?

·
Registered
5,750 Posts
They are sure pretty, although I think I agree with Jenny. I think normal Hyacinths are absolutely gorgeous and amazing birds. :hearts: I would absolutely love one, but I don't think that's going to happen, lol. :lol:

·
Premium Member
17,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah I agree too. Hyacinths are amazing. I really want one :p I want one of everything at this rate XD

·
Premium Member
17,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Do it then :)!!

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Some of the faces look more like hyacinth faces and others look more like the buffons face. The military cross has a face that looks more like a military.

The buffons is also rare. I would think probably rarer than the hyacinth, but I am not certain about that.

·
Premium Member
17,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah I thought that too. I don't think I've ever seen a buffons for sale to be honest. And I see what you mean about the face now haha!

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
I've never seen a buffon's for sale either, but the bird store has one that belongs to the manager. He is a neat bird, VERY loud, and I avoid his beak, but he loves target training.

·
Premium Member
17,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Really? That's awesome! I would love to see one, I've seen military but I haven't had the privilege of meeting a buffons :(

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
He is a great bird - for the store manager but not for me, :lol:

His green is very bright. There is a slight tinge of yellow to it. I haven't seen a military in a very long time, and I never saw the two together, so I can't remember exactly how they compare, other than size.

·
Premium Member
17,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
That's awesome haha. I've never noticed any yellow tinge to them though :lol: They do in my opinion looks like virtually the same bird only the buffons is massive!

·
Premium Member
17,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ah, I've found a picture of both of them together and looking at them it is most certainly the size and the buffons does have a cool tint of yellow in it :D

Attachments

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Great picture! I've never seen a picture of them together like that.

·
Premium Member
17,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I'm glad I found it haha. I love how from that picture itself due to the flash you can really see the difference in the birds hehe

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.