Parrot Forums - TalkParrots banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well... munch is sending a whole new mixed signal on gender.

well signs pointing to female.
she tucks shredded stuff into her rump.
shes aggressive beyond aggressive.
shes got the typical female stature of a lovebird
and she has "presented herself" to mango and a few toys in the typical female posture.

but now she is masterbating like a boy on her snuggle toy WHILE mango is in his cage doing the same thing..... just not as well as he is....

does this make sense? which gender is she? we arent DNA'ing as thats my fiance's decision as shes his bird....

·
Registered
993 Posts
Ive had some very dominant female birds who do this and even seem to court the males instead of the other way around, without the DNAing testing its hard to call but Id say she might have a strong personality but I could be wrong, I mean it happens in other animals dogs, rabbits etc... i think its just a bit more rare in birds

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
so you say female too? shes just sooo weird it wouldnt surprise me. i mean, ive seen her mount mango (who is DNA sexed male)

·
Registered
993 Posts
I think its entirely possible if all signs point to her being a female, frustrating isnt it? She might just be hormonal, and copying him

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
kinda makes sense. shes one strange bird, but she is the top bird of the flock and she knows it! so your theory makes sense, thanks :)

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
Only way to be 100% sure is to DNA test, but horny and frustrated females will mount males and masturbate sometimes like a male would.

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well she can keep it to her snuggle perch like mango does. theyre in separate cages for a reason... theyre siblings and obviously have a strong urge to breed lol theyre only 7 months...

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
:giggle: Well its that time of the year and they're in their teenage phase so they're gonna be more hormonal and, for lack of a better word, horny than normal for a few months. They'll settle down soon. You can limit the amount of daylight they get (cover their cage) to 8-10 hours a day and that can help cut back on some of the breeding urge

·
Premium Member
17,670 Posts
I'd still say female hehe :p

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
munch still wakes at the crack of dawn regardless of cage covered or not. i hear her start chirping every morning between 6-8 am.... shes silly. the one early bird.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.