Parrot Forums - TalkParrots banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please help! I recently purchased a four year old cockatoo and was not told about his aggressive behavior. He HATES my husband, If he knows he is home he will actively search him out to attack him. He will fly at his face and try to go for his eyes. I need some advice.

·
Super Moderator
5,984 Posts
Hello and welcome to Talk Parrots ... unfortunately I have not dealt with an aggressive cockatoo but I can imagine your fear and panic for your poor husband. Too's have big strong beaks and can cause some damage.

Get your hubby to whisper softly to your new bird friend when the birds in his cage, let him offer the bird its favorite treat. Tell your husband not to stare at the bird as this is often viewed as a threat ... predators stare at birds. When he whispers to the bird he should blink his eyes and look away continuously and talk softly and in a high tone of voice as this will interest the bird and will make it excited. Tell him to move slowly when near the cage ...fast movement will make the bird nervous.

Do this as many times as often as possible daily/nightly ... over time this bird will end up liking your husband when he sees he's not a threat.

I suspect this bird may have had a bad time with a man in its life before ... deep voices will trigger its fear.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts