Parrot Forums - TalkParrots banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm extremely paranoid that my other birds will get sick too. I'm not sure how Shadow died but when I went to check on him, he started flopping around and I swear he looked like THIS (yes, he looked like a preserved bird skin!) before and after he died.

He did visit the vet and he did get some medicine. But that medicine is going to go to waste. It's called Vibramycin (doxycyline monohydrate), it's a general antibiotic. I'm afraid they are sick and I won't notice it until it's too late, unless I give them some. Would it hurt them, just in case?

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Take the other one to an avian vet.
I havent heard of Vibramycin , and I dont see why the vet would give a health bird medicin? ( or am I reading that wrong? please correct me if so :p :D )
Umm Shadow died but I have no idea if the others are sick or not. It was expensive taking poor Shadow to the vet. About $135...

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
I know it may be expensive, but have you buried Shadow yet? A necropsy might be a good idea, to find out exactly why he died... if not, you may have to take your whole flock in to get checked out, to be sure no one is sick... :(

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I know it may be expensive, but have you buried Shadow yet? A necropsy might be a good idea, to find out exactly why he died... if not, you may have to take your whole flock in to get checked out, to be sure no one is sick... :(
He's already buried... mmk... time to do 135 times 6...

which is $810

None of us have the money. I'm lucky my mom and step-dad are paying for my college tuition....

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
Well, just keep a close eye on them, and see... I can completely sympathize with money, I live at home and barely get by, I'm still in school as well. Did Shadow have any symptoms? As of right now, I wouldn't panic, as no one else is showing any signs of being sick.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, just keep a close eye on them, and see... I can completely sympathize with money, I live at home and barely get by, I'm still in school as well. Did Shadow have any symptoms? As of right now, I wouldn't panic, as no one else is showing any signs of being sick.
Yeah he was fluffed up and his wings were droppy. I don't know if the others are sick or not. I think they look fine, but then again, that's what birds do to protect themselves from predators...

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Have you asked the vet whether or not you should attempt to treat the other birds? I think the vet might be willing to at least tell you whether or not to try to treat the others if you call and ask. Maybe not, but it is worth a try and a call is free.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Have you asked the vet whether or not you should attempt to treat the other birds? I think the vet might be willing to at least tell you whether or not to try to treat the others if you call and ask. Maybe not, but it is worth a try and a call is free.
No, I haven't asked... :( :-/

but he never said anything, so I'm not going to make any assumptions...

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
I wouldn't make any assumptions, either. You are wise not to do anything until you ask, but if you think the others might need it, I certainly would ask your vet about it. Sounds like you try your best with your birds. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
I wouldn't make any assumptions, either. You are wise not to do anything until you ask, but if you think the others might need it, I certainly would ask your vet about it. Sounds like you try your best with your birds. :thumbsup:
Thanks... I may ask tomorrow... or if I think they're sick. I don't think they are.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Sunny is sleepy and not resting on one foot... it's leaving me paranoid... I don't know if she's sick or not... :(

EDIT: never mind... she's sleeping on one leg... phew... that scared me!!!!

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
You sound almost as paranoid about your birds health as I am mine. :giggle:

It is good that you pay such close attention to them. I'm glad she is sleeping normally now.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
It must be very frightening because of the recent death. I'm sorry for your loss. I hope I didn't come across as flippant. I do understand your fears.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.