Parrot Forums - TalkParrots banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Still improving! Her eye is open when she’s in her cage but she closes it more when she’s out, likely as a protective measure.

Such a snuggly little bird!

·
Super Moderator
5,984 Posts
Still improving! Her eye is open when she’s in her cage but she closes it more when she’s out, likely as a protective measure.

Such a snuggly little bird!

View attachment 24262

What a sweet snuggly baby ... I am keeping my hopes up for you and your lovely little girl.

You know ... some people own blind birds. They manage to make their cages a safe place and still have a wonderful life with their disabled little bird friends. Even if your bird loses her sight in one eye ... she will still be a wonderful friend and pet with sight in the other eye.

I'm hoping she recovers fully, she deserves all the best in life.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
For sure. I don’t think she will entirely lose her sight in the left eye, but it’s likely obstructed at this point. She spent so long with one eye closed and she was very capable using one eye. It’s quite amazing, really.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Crazy news! I had been watching as the cyst was being forced outward and it was protruding so far that I was concerned the eye would rupture. I almost wondered if that would be a good thing but I was also expecting an emergency vet visit if it did happen. Tonight Mango suddenly seemed uncomfortable and now the cyst is gone and there’s a visible piece of tissue that’s been stretched where it came out. Fortunately, I have the meds and ointment that he was prescribed before so I probably don’t need to go running to a vet again. I am pretty sure we will have a healed eye within a week and it looks pretty normal now!

·
Super Moderator
5,984 Posts
Crazy news! I had been watching as the cyst was being forced outward and it was protruding so far that I was concerned the eye would rupture. I almost wondered if that would be a good thing but I was also expecting an emergency vet visit if it did happen. Tonight Mango suddenly seemed uncomfortable and now the cyst is gone and there’s a visible piece of tissue that’s been stretched where it came out. Fortunately, I have the meds and ointment that he was prescribed before so I probably don’t need to go running to a vet again. I am pretty sure we will have a healed eye within a week and it looks pretty normal now!

How bizarre is that? I can't believe its gone now .... how cool if this will be the end of it and the meds and ointment will be the cure after this extraction has happened.

I am keeping fingers and all crossed for you and Mango and hope all will be fine for her and this will all be over soon. I hope he heals quickly and you two are on your way to being the best cuddly bugs ever!

Keep us up on the news and I hope this will all be wonderful!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Thank you! I’m quite confident he will make a full recovery save some scar tissue on the surface of the eye. He’s opening it a lot more now and the eyelid is getting a break from all that extra friction so it will get a chance to heal as well. Through all of this he’s been a super friendly and happy bird which is amazing. My favourite part is how he tromps up the stairs to come see us if we’ve left his cage unlocked. He sees no boundaries! I’ve been going through some health challenges myself which has led to me sleeping in a recliner for most of this eye charade. Mango has gotten used to sleeping snuggled into my neck or on top of my head. He wakes me up in the morning by tap dancing on my head and sweeping his tail feathers in my face. These birds are too smart! I wouldn’t recommend people sleep with their birds, but for me I know myself and my bird well enough that I won’t smother him. He’s going to have to get used to sleeping on his own soon.

Thanks for the moral support through all of this. It’s incredible how traumatic these things can be even though it’s ‘just a bird’.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts