Parrot Forums - TalkParrots banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks. Kiwi and Kazi finally have 2 new babies (with 3 eggs left to hatch-not sure if they will). They are a week old now and the cutest, adorable little things with very loud little voices. She didn't eat her eggs this time. I threatened to give them away if she did it again and she must have heard me-lol. I want the babies to be tame. Should I hand raise them or just handle them often?

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Congratulations!

I can't give any advice because I have no knowledge of that subject, but this sounds very exciting.

·
Registered
9 Posts
you dont have to hand feed them just handle them daily and dont forget to wash your hands before handling them

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
You can co-parent and have tame budgies, like Johnny said. Handle them regularly once they start to feather in and their eyes are open, around 1-2 weeks of age, and they'll do well :)

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks folks for all your great advice. Yippie! I'm soooo happy that I can tame them without hand feeding them. I have enough to do with my tiels right now. As soon as they're feathered I will send some pics.

·
Banned
435 Posts
Congrats !
I'd leave them with her to be fed and raised if all is going well and handle them regularly after them age of 10 days. They turn out to be pretty social butterflys this way.

My Piplup was raised this way till the parents started to kill her clutch mates so she was handraised.

But my other 3 budgies ( Chibi-Chibi , Mimzy and Mumble *RIP* ) were all store bought with no human contact and are just as tame as a hand raised.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Stacey. I am picking them up a couple of times a day, but only for a few seconds as Kiwi looks for them and I'm afraid that she will cease feeding them if I keep them longer.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi folks. I have been handling the babies a couple of times during the day but only for a few seconds each time. Kiwi seems stressed when I do and she very quickly checks them out when I put them back in the nest.Do you think they'll still be tame by handling them this way? She doesn't mind my hand in the nest with the babies and her though.They're 3 weeks now and the cutest I've ever seen. One is turquoise and the other blue. I always wanted a blue budgie. My 3 year old told me the other day on her birthday that she wanted a blue bird, so she has it. I wanted to wait for Lea(my linnie) to breed and produce a cobalt like her, but the budgie beat her to it. I thought both the male and female had to be pied to produce different colors, Kazi is a pied green/turquoise while Kiwi(female) is a plain green.

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
I think they'll still be tame. As they get older and mom feels more comfortable about it, you can handle them more and more :thumbsup: Especially once they come out of the nest box, mom will be less possessive of them and you can do more with them. Just be wary of them flying about :giggle: The first few flights are always a doozy and, if you can safely allow it, it's best to let them get in a few really good flights to build up muscle and some good flight skills before clipping them

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks Jenny, great advice. You don't think they'll be too old when they leave the nest? The older one is very cuddly, while the younger tries to fly from my hand.

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
Thanks Jenny, great advice. You don't think they'll be too old when they leave the nest? The older one is very cuddly, while the younger tries to fly from my hand.
I don't think so, not if you maintain what you're doing now. Even with momma in the nest (as long as she's ok with it), just acclimating them to your hand being nearby is a great step towards them taming down. Each baby will have a different level of 'tame-ness' just because they will each have their own personality :thumbsup:

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank you sooo much Jenny for all your encouragement. I'll keep it up. They're so cute, healthy and beautiful. I feed the parents a lot of good things. They're not used to pellets and won't eat it, but they will eat veggies, escarole/dandelion,whole wheat couscous,ground almonds,egg yolk, egg food, sprouts and seeds sprinkled with a little ground flax seed. I also add oatmeal with grouts and flax(I boil this for them and add it to their morning dish).

·
Registered
57 Posts
Congragulations on your set of babie budgies. I can't wait till my two have some. But, they are still young.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Much to my surprise today, baby number one (budgie) left the nest and was perched next to mommy. I picked him up so I could clean his little feet (poopy feet) and he seemed ok with that. He just sat in my hand-sooo cute! When do you think they will be fully weaned and I can put them in a separate cage? Tiel babies are weaned around 8 weeks old, but I hand feed them.

·
Premium Member
17,670 Posts
Congratulations! I agree with Jenny on the co-parenting thing. I believe it will work best

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hi Abby, I have 4 new little darlings-just a couple of days old. As I mentioned before, I think I'll hand feed this time as they will probably be tamer. At least I hope so. What do you think?

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.