Parrot Forums - TalkParrots banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, for Christmas I will be getting two Zebra Finches. (I already informed Daisy of this) I plan on breeding them since they sound pretty easy to breed. It will be the first time I will ever have bred any birds. :D I've already got two cages planned for them, and I've pretty much created a nest for them. I know where I'm going to buy them. I'm pretty prepared. I'm just sharing my excitement with all of you!! :lol: I can't wait!

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Congratulations. I hope you enjoy breeding them.

·
Premium Member
17,670 Posts
Hehe have fun with them. Believe it or not but they can be really loud for little tiny things so just buy some earplugs while you're at it ;)

I hope everything goes okay with them and I hope they settle in well.

When you get them can you put some pictures up of them please :D?

Also do you have any names for them yet?
And do you know what colours you want?

I think I've got some pics of mine :)
Hehe I love how the male has a feather stuck to his butt XD

Attachments

·
Registered
5,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What cuties!!

And of course!! All I'll be posting is pictures of them!

I'm actually thinking of names right now. I was thinking about having just French names for the pair I buy and for the babies. I really liked "Beau" for a boy (if I were to do only French names). Girl French names I liked are Alice, Chambray, and Belle.

But if I don't stick to just French names, here are some others I liked:

MALE:
-Beau
-Bear
-Romeo
-Zipper
-Victor
-Oliver
-Benji
-Ash
-Vladimir
-Emmett
-Charlie
-Klause

FEMALE:
-Cookie
-Rosie
-Mabel
-Olivia
-Holly
-Lydia
-Violet
-Lily
-Piper

Yeah, I know that's a lot. :O
What names do you like? What are a couple pairs would you pick? (One girl name and one boy name count as a pair.)

I'm not really too picky on the colors. I'll just choose what I like at the Bird Farm!

·
Premium Member
17,670 Posts
I love the names Emmett and Violet! They're so gorgeous.
I love the french theme you've got thinking about though hehe. We went through a Japanese phase of names and I had a lutino cockatiel called Akiko and of course my red-fronted kakariki Yoshi hehe!

And yeah they're mega cute! I love it when they fly because they buzz like a little bee!

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
Aww, yay! Zebras are super easy to breed, once they're established and get some experience. You will quickly overflow with finchies :giggle: I'm partial to the fawns and black-cheeked Zebras. Java Sparrows/Finches are still my favorite tho, I dream of getting my hands on a few hand-tame and raised Javas to snuggle

·
Premium Member
17,670 Posts
Hehe I get my Javas in a few weeks when the weather gets better over here so they can be delivered :D hehe!

I adore the black-cheeked ones. They're so pretty!

·
Premium Member
17,670 Posts
Good good :D do you know exactly when you're going to be getting them?

·
Registered
5,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm predicting it will be the Monday after Christmas, that or the Thursday after Christmas. (The Bird Farm is sadly only opened three days a week: Saturdays, Mondays and Thursdays.)

·
Premium Member
17,670 Posts
ah fair enough haha. Do you know how old the birds will be and stuff and whether or not they are proven/bonded etc?

·
Registered
5,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I will not know if the pair is a bonded pair or not. I've heard however that it will not matter, as pretty much any two Zebra Finches will get along and make babies.

I do not know how old they are now, but I am going to ask. They will for sure know. Probably quite young, as they breed and sell finches often

·
Premium Member
17,670 Posts
Fair enough. We had no idea how old ours were haha, but they were a proven pair which is good! Then again somebody sold me two Bichenos finches and two Lady Gouldian for £80. He claimed they were young and in great health but they died a few weeks after owning them :( make sure you get young birds hehe!

·
Registered
5,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
On TB, I heard about someone who had to sell her bird (a conure, I think it was...I'm not sure) and she spent a lot of time trying to find someone. She found this man and he seemed like a great choice to sell her bird to. She sold it to him, and a few weeks later she found an ad on the internet, posted by the man, selling the bird she just sold to him for a higher price. He used the same picture she had sent to him. She was devastated. I would be, too. I hate scams like that and dishonest people, including whoever sold you those finches! Ugh.

·
Premium Member
17,670 Posts
Oh my god that's terrible. It is bad either way but I think it is worse for those selling companion birds as they obviously mean more. An aviary bird you never bothered with wouldn't usually bother me in that situation but something like that would be dreadful :/

·
Registered
5,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It would make me very upset if someone did that to one of my birds. Ugh. And I get really attached to all animals easily anyway.

·
Premium Member
17,670 Posts
same here :/

·
Registered
5,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I can't stand watching those Animal Cops shows! Seeing some of the awful people treating animals horribly... :frown2:

·
Premium Member
17,670 Posts
Yeah I wanted to work for the RSPCA but I decided that I'd hit everybody :lol:

·
Registered
5,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hahaha :D

Hey, Daisy, could you check out my post under the breeding section called "Finch Nest" if you haven't already? I'm hoping maybe you could help.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.