Parrot Forums - TalkParrots banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
5,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just recently made a post about my plans on breeding a pair of Zebra Finches.

I realize I need a nest for this.

I found a basket outside in my garage shelf that I think will work pretty well for a nest. I know a nesting box would probably be better, but this saves me money.

I completely rinsed it off with water and scrubbed it, then I used some vinegar and more water to soak and wash/scrub it some more. I think it's pretty darn clean. :D There's no dirt, no random things sticking in it. It doesn't smell bad; actually at this point, it doesn't smell like anything.

It is sort of shaped funny, since it isn't exactly meant for finches. But I worked with it and I shoved down in the funny pointy bottom paper towels. I shoved it down very tight, and therefore it isn't as deep as it was. (This is very hard to explain, I'll add some pictures so you hopefully know what I'm talking about.) I think the paper towels will also be good because they will absorb dirt and poop when the babies and the parents are in there.

On top of the paper towels, I stuffed down some cotton balls on the new "floor" of the nest (where the paper towels are) and lined it with cotton balls. (It looks very comfy :D )

Then, I took some cheap toilet paper and sort of weaved it in on the walls of the basket nest to make it more comfortable/warm/safe for the finches.

I think it looks pretty nice, I'm pretty sure it will work. I'll add more nesting materials in there once I actually get the finches. (Which I'm absolutely excited for!!)

Here are some pictures of the nest. It's really hard to see it clearly and see the depth and everything in the pictures, and I'm sorry! I hope this gives you a bit of an idea. Does this look/sound good to you guys? Will it work? I spent a bit (okay, a lot) of time on it, so I'm really hoping it will.

Thanks in advance for any comments and suggestions you all have!

·
Premium Member
17,670 Posts
That should work fine. With the shape it's kinda sheltered like a finch box, but has the same style as the little nest baskets. I think it will be good for them. If they don't show interest then you can try the other two things :)

·
Registered
5,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Okay thanks! I'll most definitely try it. I can always add or remove stuff to make it more sheltered-feeling or larger or smaller. I'm pretty good at making stuff like that.

·
Premium Member
17,670 Posts
It looks really snug XD do they come in human sizes? :lol:

·
Registered
5,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hehehe! I think it would be a really comfy chair, if of course it was a bit larger. :giggle:

·
Premium Member
17,670 Posts
well yeah, otherwise I imagine it would be a very embarrassing trip to the hospital :rofl:

·
Registered
5,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You make me laugh a lot, Daisy. :lol:

·
Premium Member
17,670 Posts
Why thankyou... from what I make up in being unattractive I make up in being humorous XD

·
Registered
5,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You are not unattractive! :yikes:

·
Premium Member
17,670 Posts
*looks at the shattered mirror* :(

·
Registered
5,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Awh, come on, Daisy. :) I honestly think you are very pretty, I don't care what you say. Besides, the great thing about birds is they don't care how old you are or what you look like. They love you just the same. :) They aren't judgmental about that stuff.

·
Premium Member
17,670 Posts
you watch! I'll buy a bird so snobby it wont like me for my looks XD actually Dave the male bateleur eagle doesn't like me because of my hair colour hahahaha!

·
Registered
5,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Heheehehe! What color is your hair?

Mine is really brown, but I dye it black every now and then. I wonder if the birds notice the difference.

·
Premium Member
17,670 Posts
Purple at the moment hehe

·
Premium Member
17,670 Posts
How is it fun XD?

·
Registered
5,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·