Parrot Forums - TalkParrots banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
since i got twitter ive wanted to know if he's a he or she! i call twitter a boy but thats just a guess. how would i go about finging out his/her gender... whats the best way and where do i go.
thanks so much guys!!!
love
lilly,twitter,buddy,and cookie

·
Registered
57 Posts
There are a few companies that do DNA testing. They send you a kit and you can either gather a bit of blood of use a freshly plucked feather (depending on which kit you choose). Word on the street is that they are pretty reliable. I've never used any of them but it may be a starting point for more research for you.

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
Best thing would be to DNA test, which can be done by you or a veterinarian. It can be done by either pulling a feather sample, or a blood sample usually collected by trimming the toenail a little short and collecting the blood there

·
Registered
509 Posts
DNA test or see if he/she lays an egg! some say you can go by the shape of the head and beak, but that is not reliable.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Or have it surgically sexed. Not my favorite way but someone here can explain it, I get queasy just thinking about it. We have a male Black Cap Conure that was sexed this way and he has a tattoo under one wing as proof of his sex! My daughter thought that was cool, a bird with a tattoo!

·
Registered
131 Posts
Pickle (my broto) was DNA'd by the breeder. She uses Avian Biotech: http://www.avianbiotech.com/

There are other labs out there that offer DNA testing, including Zoogen: http://www.zoogen.biz/

Your avian veterinarian might offer to do the testing as well, although it's often more costly than doing it yourself.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I use Avian Biotech too. I do not draw blood, but I do the feather test. It is less painful and traumatic, IMO. Cost is approx $24.50 and results are made available via email normally within 24 hours of receipt. So far, results have been spot on. Plus it's alot cheaper then going to the vet. My vet charges $60 just to walk in the door with a bird, then another $40 for the test.

·
Registered
887 Posts
I don't recommend getting a Sun surgically sexed. They can have a problem with the anaesthetic. Apparently they don't cope well with it. Go for DNA.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.