Parrot Forums - TalkParrots banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

First Molt

4K views 25 replies 4 participants last post by  nanay 
#1 ·
Kiki is starting her first molt I believe! At sixth months, they are supposed to lose a lot of their green feathers and new yellow ones will come in. There are lots of random yellow feathers sticking out of her green ones, and I feel the new feathers coming in. I will take a picture of her and post it soon.

#2 ·
Great news Abby! I can't wait to see what she looks like when she's matured!

#5 ·
Shira molted and her flight feathers grew back in very quickly. She was totally clipped less than two weeks ago, and I think she is completely grown in now. She hasn't realized it yet. :giggle:

#7 · (Edited)
Daisy,
Elisa, the linnie, is fully flighted and, if I can possibly manage it, she will remain so. She falls like a rock when she is clipped, and she won't stop flinging herself off of things whenever she feels like it no matter how hard she falls and bounces. :yikes: She flies very little, even though she is fully flighted, and no matter where she lands, she steps up immediately when asked to. I also believe she needs the ability to get away from the other birds in my home because she is tiny and would never think to do anything other than run away to defend herself.

Stanley, the bourkes, would be flighted if her flights would grow in correctly. Each time they grow in, eventually they start to curl under her wings and cause her to hold her wings at uncomfortable angles. This time they have been growing in somewhat straighter. I'll leave them until she appears to be really bothered by them. She can actually get enough lift to keep herself safe even when she is clipped. Her personality is just like the linnie's, so she would be better flighted if possible.

Shira, green cheek, was clipped as a baby and has just grown in for the first time since then. She hasn't yet realized she can fly. I won't clip her unless she becomes a danger to herself flighted. Her personality is such that I think she very likely will become a danger to herself once she learns she can fly. :rolleyes: Time will tell with Shira.

Roni, senegal, has been clipped thrice. Like Shira, she is now fully flighted but has not figured it out. She is currently on probation. I won't clip her unless I need to. If she becomes aggressive toward people or birds, she will be clipped. That is why she was clipped the last two times.

Daisy, maximillian pionus - wow, I don't even know! I think she is probably clipped because I don't know. She is Cannary's bird, but I interact with her. She is the one I take to school the most. I think we must have had her clipped recently. :shrug: Obviously, I'm not in the same room with her right now. I could go look, but I am amazed by the fact that I don't know. If she is, in fact, flighted, there would certainly be no reason to clip her again. She is an angel.

Ashlynn, grey, has a baby clip that allows her to glide across the living room. The bird store advised not to clip her any more unless she became a danger to herself, and the vet concurred. She also has pretty sharp claws, which they both said not to dull any further. This is, I am told, because baby greys are notoriously clumsy and prone to developing phobias if they fall awkwardly at this stage. They also take a long time to mature. She is so young I don't know what I will do with her. My thought on this at this moment is that I might just keep her like this, able to glide all the way across the room but unable to get up speed. I think my house might be too small to be safe for her if she actually could fly strongly. Also, she is big and clumsy and doesn't take no for an answer. I'm not sure I could keep her safe if she could really fly.

Doug, parrotlet who is not yet home, has a baby clip. He can fly about as far as Ashlynn can fly, but he can't get lift inside. I have no idea what we'll do with him in the future, but if he is safe I tend to think we will leave him flighted. After speaking with my advisors at the pet store and the vet's office, Cannary and I are thinking that once we get Doug home we will no longer mix large and small birds for out of cage time. We think we will have the four littlest ones out together and then Roni, Ashlynn, and Aurora out together, with Daisy, maximillian's, allowed out whenever. Doug will go right toward Aurora as if he thinks he can bully her. He would be a danger to himself if out of the cage at the same time as the big birds.

Aurora, umbrella cockatoo, has chewed off her own flights and tail as well as some other feathers, so it is all we can do to keep her from falling and injuring herself. If she ever grows anything back, it would be a miracle.

#9 ·
Thanks nanay, it's good you leave them flighted unless you really have to clip them. I also really love how you put Aurora at the bottom of your flock there! How is the adoption going? I don't think I've heard about it in a while!

#10 ·
Solo is quite the character, isn't she? She seems fearless.

Daisy, all I can say is that I've already ordered her a cage. :biggrin5: I'm waiting to get all the veterinarian recommended tests done until after I get my tax refund.

#12 ·
haha nanay that's great! When do you think you'll be taking her home then?

#13 ·
Daisy,
I think it should be in a few weeks. Doug, the parrotlet, can come home next weekend, so we are pretty excited about that!

#14 ·
Well, as always, birds and kids have to make liars out of us.

Today, in honor of my post that she didn't fly often, Elisa has been flying around and around and then coming back to land on us. She is quite proud of herself.

Shira is also trying to figure out how to fly again, but either her wings are no longer strong enough or she isn't grown in as much as I think, because she doesn't get any lift.

Daisy is NOT flighted, by the way. Perhaps this is what keeps her so sweet.

#15 ·
Abby,
We took over your post about molting. Sorry

Do you have new pictures for us of your beauty?

#19 ·
:whistle: My son has promised to help me, but now I can't find the little chip thing for the phone. There are lots of pictures on my phone.

#21 ·
Doesn't that cost an arm and a leg?

#23 ·
I have texting on my phone, but not Internet access. Can you just send pictures like a text and not rack up Internet fees.

#25 ·
I have texting on my phone, but not Internet access. Can you just send pictures like a text and not rack up Internet fees.
Yeah totally! It's not like using email at all, Nanay. It's just sending a text to your email, but including a picture. I don't have internet on my phone either. Just make a new text message, put in your email address instead of a number, and put in a photo. I do it all the time.

#26 ·
This is confusing. I'm still trying to figure it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.