Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
My lorikeets (Manny and Lucy) only eat apples, grapes, flowers and a nectar mix and they are starting to get bored with the apples and a bit the rest so what else should i try feeding them??
Em

·
Registered
887 Posts
Other favourites are Rock Melon (Cantaloupe), Honey Dew Melon, Corn on the cob, Celery Tops, Kiwi Fruit. Some like pears but others don't (individual thing). Banana's are really good for them but they don't often eat them as when they lick them they don't get much of a taste and they are not that sweet so often won't eat them. They usually don't go much for the stone fruit (peaches, plums etc.) But Mango is a favourite with mine. Also silver beet and spinach.

That should give you a start.

·
Premium Member
17,670 Posts
I think Abby made a thread about lists, and I'm pretty sure there's some good food ideas in that :)

·
Registered
662 Posts
They will eat some pellets also. I don't know if you have tried pellets yet! The shop I use has a lorikeet in and he has a dish of pellets, Zupreem fruity, along side the nectar dish.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks all,
Tried most of the food kate, but i'll try mango and maybe kiwi fruit again, but i tried with the banana and sliver beet and they didn't like it much either. Fussy things!

·
Premium Member
17,670 Posts
bless them, I'm sure you'll find something they like :lol:

·
Registered
5,750 Posts
Go to the sticky called "Lists" I believe it is called. I made it a while back using some information from a book, and there are lists of plenty of different types of food birds can eat. Check it out! Good luck. :)

·
Registered
212 Posts
How about blending a mixture of fruits into a puree and offering it?

·
Registered
5,750 Posts
Sometimes adding seed to the foods they aren't familiar with can help.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Abby Lorikeets should not be fed seed at all. Their digestive systems cannot digest seed as they don't have the acid in their systems like seed eating parrots. They are strictly pollen and nectar feeders. I don't even agree with giving them pellets. Both seed and pellets can damage the little hairs on the tongue that they use for eating the pollen and nectar. They even drink differently to other parrots in that they sort of suck up the water like through a straw.

·
Premium Member
17,670 Posts
Kate, what do you feed yours on? Fruit and the lorikeet mix?

·
Registered
887 Posts
Yes Daisy. I make my own Lorikeet food which I also sell. It is a dry powder and can be given dry or mixed with water and fed wet. When fed wet you should only give enough for a couple of hours especially in the hot weather. I usually feed dry. Plus they get seasonal fruit and vegetables.

I have been making my mix for 12 years now. It has nearly 20 ingredients. It is a secret formulation. I have already had a few people try to obtain the formula. I list the ingredients on the label but it is the quantities that are important. So far the only complaints I have had is "My bird won't eat anything else, I ran out and bought such and such and they won't touch it".

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
WOW!! thanks all, yeah thanks Kate lorikeets don't eat pellets or seeds :(!!!
but i also give them a wet mix. Still cant find the sticky thing!!
BUT THANK YOU GUYS SO MUCH!!!! YOU ARE SO HELPFUL!!!!!
Em

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.