Parrot Forums - TalkParrots banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You might know that I have a greenwing male about 3 or 4 years old. He is bonding more and more with me while my partner is not around but when she is, Jack, my greenwing turns into a demon and want to hurt me lol. I was wondering if anyone has had experience with a previously owned macaw like this before. I want to try and work on a spin off of a step up training where her and I work on "up up" between eachother?... if I put my hand behind him and ask he usually responds but tries to bite. I do the "little earthquake" to distract him from biting me. Will this help with his agression while she's paying attention to him and im a threat to that attention?

·
Premium Member
17,670 Posts
I am not sure what to say as I have never actually owned a macaw or had a previously owned one but I'm pretty sure Jenny can help you out here :)

·
Registered
519 Posts
It sounds like your partner has become his chosen mate. If so, it might be best for you to only handle him when she's not present. I don't think the earthquake method is good...it can cause your bird to lose confidence and trust in you. I recommend just positive reinforcement and lots of time/patience. Respect your bird's body language and let his comfort level guide you to a healthy relationship of mutual trust and respect.

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
This month's Bird Talk had a really good article on aggression and biting in parrots and understand why they do it, you may want to check it out :)

I agree with Kristen, go slow, be patient, and use positive reinforcement to win him over. You can't change his feelings if he's decided to bond most strongly with someone

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm. Not trying to change his feelings and be my baby but he needs to not attack me because my girlfriend and i are at home together and gone together. Also she doesn't even do anything with him because she doesn't even like him lol. He screams for hours if he's not out and around her I can't have it to where if he's out and on on the other couch to give space he charges at me anyway.. I don't think you understand what the problem is. All I want to know is what kind of training will help for this cause it can't continue.

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
I understand the problem, it's just a difficult one to solve... There's not a set training regimen that will solve it. My best advice at this point would be to consult with an avian vet or behaviorist in your area who can give you hands on recommendations and advice after handling the bird and getting a feel for his behavior and motivation

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.