Parrot Forums - TalkParrots banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I started clicker training with Goober too!
Been meaning to for months, but Jayde and others have motivated me to finally get off my butt and do it! So far, we're working on target training and waving hello, and we're both loving it!
She goes nuts and HAS to do SOMETHING to get her darn corn!!! Here's a video of it, I apologize it's so long. The first few minutes is target training, then around the 4 minute mark we start with waving hi!

She's getting really good at her targets - today she climbed down the chain and flapped her wings to swing over to touch the target, which I think is such great progress!

http://s86.photobucket.com/albums/k94/jennychanlubsdeg/?action=view&current=clickertraining.mp4

·
Registered
339 Posts
Thats great! He seems to be doing really well, and is so handsome :p

Reactions: Jenny

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thats great! He seems to be doing really well, and is so handsome :p
:giggle: She says thanks :nana: Don't worry, the first year and change I worked with her in the shop we were ALL convinced Goober was a male, between her appearance, behavior, and talking ability. Sure made us look dumb when I finally got the DNA done! :rofl:

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
I watched the first part of the video, and she looks like she really enjoys it and is progressing well. I'll watch the remainder of the video some time when I have a chance to take the computer outside or something! I really want to be able to have the sound on, and I thought it would be ok, but I should have known there would be some linnie sounds in the back ground or something, because of course Elisa won't let me hear it for making the contact call when I try to play it inside here.

I don't know whoever decided linnies are quiet!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I shouldn't say that, I only have species that are noted as more quiet, so, of course, in this household, she is noisy.

At any rate, I will watch this all as soon as I can get away from her. lol

I was just given a clicker training video by Ellen Cook. I had no idea one could use clicker training to help alleviate fear reactions, but on there she is doing just that with a senegal, so I'm hooked and I'm going to start it with Roni soon, if only to help with that.

I've clicker trained - shortly - both dogs and llamas in the past. It worked, but, for the most part, other methods are more suited to my own personality. However, this will surely be worth it even if the only thing I do with it is to help Roni find a less dangerous way to handle her phobic responses.

Good work, Jenny :thumbsup:

I'll probably have to post more about Goober specifically after I've watched the whole thing a couple of times.

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
:giggle: Thanks, Nanay! Yeah, I think the parrotlets were having one of their morning battles in the background :rolleyes: THEY are the noisiest birds in the house, unless Goober screams which she does once in a blue moon!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Having problem with video streaming. But I guess, that was cool. I'm spending much time with my african grey as well. Remember, though, that raising your parrot takes time, effort and dedication. The element that most surprises new parrot owners is the range of human-like emotions of parrots. Perhaps this is why the bond between parrot and person is so strong.

·
Premium Member
17,670 Posts
That's awesome, and she's coming far pretty fast :) well done Goober!

and oh my gosh nanay, you have trained llama!? That's amazing. They're probably one of the coolest animals ever hehe!

·
Premium Member
17,670 Posts
And ohhhh myyy gossshhh GIR TOP :D

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Llamas have their own personalities. They are domesticated, so they can be taught to walk with a halter and lead fairly easily. They can also be trained to pull a cart easily, and I've trained several to do that. I think I'm too old for that now, though.

·
Premium Member
17,670 Posts
That's so awesome haha! I bought two the last time I was in the US :D

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Do you still have your llamas?

·
Premium Member
17,670 Posts
I have never (very sad ...) kept a llama :( I would love to though. They're adorable

·
Premium Member
17,670 Posts
Haha he is amazing. I love Johnny XD

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.