Parrot Forums - TalkParrots banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It is with a very heavy heart and between tears that I am making this post. Oliver was out flying about this morning like he always does. I went downstairs to do my laundry and my other half not realizing Oliver's cage was open, went out on the deck, came back in and returned to his room. When I came back from downstairs I noticed the patio door open and instantly know Oliver was gone. Our deck overlooks a courtyard, and I searched every inch of it. I am sure he flew over the wall, and with the way he can fly, could be anywhere within a 4 block area. There is a fair amount to traffic, tons of trees, so my search for him came up empty. I placed an ad on Craigslist, but am not hopeful. He would just fly away from anyone who would attempt to catch him, and I am not sure how long he will last in the wild. :(

Oliver I miss you so.

·
Registered
993 Posts
Im so sorry dont give up I lost my parrot last year and its the most horrible feeling in the world you feel so guilty, but its not your fault.

Go on parrots 911

Put your cage outside and open the door

Eventually he will come down to someone when hes hungry enough if your lujcky itll be a good person

Call all your humane societies within a 100 mile radius even better fax them a missing parrot page

Put up fliers everywhere and go to local petstores with them

Research shows the parrot usually stays within a couple of blocks the first few day so go door to door in your neighbourhood with papers then if you get a sighting you can know where he was last seen do this all as fast as you can

Also they say they stay within 2.5 km within the first year,

Im so sorry to here this but please dont give up try as hard as you can till you cant stop trying

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Oh, Bob, I'm so sorry to hear this! What a shock!

Don't give up yet -- all of Jessie's suggestions are great! Please try them.

I hope he comes back to you -- some how, some way!

My thoughts are with you and with Oliver.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I am sorry to hear about Oliver. If I lived closer I would help you look for him. I hope he comes home to you safely. Please don't give up!
:hugs_text:

·
Registered
493 Posts
I'm so sorry for your loss! I know how much you loved that little beauty. I wouldn't give up yet. Keep looking.

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
So sorry for your loss - put his cage outside with food and water on top, and play parrot sounds, of his species if you can find it, as loud as you can outside to help him find his way home

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
this sounds like something I would do. :rolleyes: have you tried using the same species sound? when my pearly got out I used tiel sound to call to her I did get her back the next day though. I live in a dead area though. I wouldn't give up hope. Someone on another forum lost thier quaker for a week and someone else found it. So its possible to get him back :)

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks everyone for the support. I have a couple posts on Craigslist, I contacted the Gabrial Foundation which is a local bird rescue organization, I also posted on Parrotalert, and 911 Parrotalet. I live in a very populated area of Denver, close to downtown, so many Apartment buildings, very busy streets, and tons of huge older trees. I posted flyers everywhere in the area, and am hoping someone will see him and give me a call. His cage is on the patio with his door open, with fresh food and water.

I am hoping I will see him again.

·
Registered
993 Posts
Good luck Bob I really hope he comes home I truly understand your pain its the most horrible feeling when you think there gone, I remember just being so sick to my stomachs the populated area might help you so many bird feeders and such :biggrin5:

·
Premium Member
17,670 Posts
Bob this makes me feel awful to read. We all knew how much you thought of Oliver :( good luck finding him. Best wishes

·
Registered
97 Posts
Awe Im so sorry. I hope you find him!!! I had visions of the same thing happening here the other day. I was rearranging my Scarlets' cage and Rhett got out and flew all over the house. I was so terrified one of the kids was going to open the door and he'd be gone for ever. We were able to catch him and put him back but my heart was racing!!!

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
I am sorry to hear about Oliver getting outside, Bob. I hope you find him.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Bob, I am so sorry. How horrible. You are in a very bird conscious area. Your Craigslist posts are very prominent. Between that and making sure the Gabriel foundation knows, I think there is a decent chance Oliver will be found. My thoughts are with you and Oliver.

·
Registered
5,750 Posts
Wow, what a beautiful bird...I am so sorry for your loss. May he rest in peace.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.