Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Goodbye Oliver - Welcome Mango

I have resolved the fact that I will never see Oliver again. i went to my local bird store looking for a GCC. They had 3 normals and 4 Yellow sided. I handled all 7 but one just jumped in my hand, on my shoulder, and let me know that HE was my bird. A 12 week old Yellow Sided. All 4 yellow sided were DNA tested male which also was nice to know. After 45 minutes I knew he was the one for me. HE let me know. I am the proud owner of a GCC Yellow Sided Male.

No name yet, but here is my new little boy, he hasn't left my shoulder since I brought him home.

·
Registered
3,245 Posts
Aww congrats.... I have a new 3 month old pineapple green cheek .. I have had him ( I do not know gender but do not want to say it) for a week now and he also is a velcro bird... LOVE the green cheeks!!

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
I'm happy for both of you. He is very cute.

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
he is adorable.

im so sorry to hear about oliver :(

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
It's always great to go somewhere with many birds and let that one special bird choose you :lovehearts: So sorry again for your loss of Oliver, but I hope your new addition helps to mend your heart

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks all, yes, my new GCC helps tremendously, he is a major cuddle bug. If by chance Oliver would return, than all the best for me as I would then have 2 joys in my life.

·
Premium Member
17,670 Posts
that's great Bob, yellow sides are my favourites other than turqs. But he is a real beauty :D have you thought of any names yet?

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
that's great Bob, yellow sides are my favourites other than turqs. But he is a real beauty :D have you thought of any names yet?

I thought I would give it a couple days and hope a name pops up. I am defiantly open to suggestions.

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
he looks like a "Ditto" lol i dunno why. i see his picture and that name pops in my mind

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Congrats! Welcome to the GCC Lovers Group! You are in for a wonderful ride! "No name" will help you get over your loss of Oliver. He's beautiful!

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Congrats! Welcome to the GCC Lovers Group! You are in for a wonderful ride! "No name" will help you get over your loss of Oliver. He's beautiful!
Thanks all, He is the perfect replacement.

Joanne, I knew exactly what you were going to say. You and the bond you have with Libby is the reason I got my GCC. So far hie is every thing I wanted in a bird, quiet, loving, a cuddle bug, and so damn cute. He is getting used to his cage, and is playing with every toy, along with hanging upside down when ever he can. What an absolute joy he is so far. I will have to look at Libby's cage to get some suggestions.

·
Registered
993 Posts
aww what a little cutie and yeah the conures are the best I really love there sense of humor

·
Registered
85 Posts
Congrats on your new bird! I love my little cinnamon green cheek. They are such sweet little birds, I know you will be happy with him!

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
LOL! I'm glad "no name" is working out so well for you! I've owned many different types of birds over the years, but none of them have been as wonderful as Libby! She's everything I always wanted in a bird -- sweet and sassy!

Here's a pic of her cage (probably posted it before!). This is when I first got the cage -- there's lots more toys in there now -- tee hee! I rotate both birds' toys every couple of weeks.

You lookin' at me???

Here she is, digging into one of her foraging toys -- she loves to forage!

Have fun and don't forget to post more pictures! Have you thought of a name yet?

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
LOL! I'm glad "no name" is working out so well for you! I've owned many different types of birds over the years, but none of them have been as wonderful as Libby! She's everything I always wanted in a bird -- sweet and sassy!

Here's a pic of her cage (probably posted it before!). This is when I first got the cage -- there's lots more toys in there now -- tee hee! I rotate both birds' toys every couple of weeks.

Have fun and don't forget to post more pictures! Have you thought of a name yet?

No name yet, but I am sure one will come soon. He is on my shoulder as I am typing this. Thanks for the pics, I was going to ask you to show a pic of Libby's sleep tent, I will be getting one real soon. What are some good foraging toys to start with? I have the foraging Green, I will pull it back out and see if he likes it or not.

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Libby loves her tents! She has one in the cage above and one in her sleeping cage (HQ flight cage). She naps, runs through and plays on her back in them.

When I first brought her home, she wouldn't try foraging at all, just didn't getit. I don't know if it was because she was young or what, but I waited until she was older.

I started small, with a little hanging plastic bucket that had a leather "lid" that just rested on top, very easy to figure out. I lifted the lid and showed her the treat (a Nutraberry), then put the lid back on top. She fiddled it for a minute and then got it. I tried that one 2-3 times, and then slowly graduated to harder and harder foraging toys. She'll work over the new toy, fiddle with it, bang her beak on it in frustration (lol!), but then in a couple of days, she'll get the treats.

As you're training him, it's best if the toy is clear in color, so he can see there's treats inside. After he gets the idea, the sky's the limit! GCC's are very smart!

BTW, Libby is fond of Nutraberries, and really loves Nutraberry Popcorn. I also use pieces of Avicakes. It depends on the toy and what will fit inside.

I'm just about ready to sign off and go to bed, but tomorrow, I'll take some pictures of her foraging toys and post them for you. I buy most of them from my local bird shop, but you can do a search on line and find tons of them.

Foraging is really great activity for them, both mind and body. Keeps them busy!

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
If you plan on getting your little one a tent, I highly recommend one from Lori, a Linnie Forum member. She has an Etsy, a store, where she sells tents, snuggle rings, and snuggle pillars and I can't say enough good things about them. NEVER a loose thread, they're 100% machine washable, and are adorable :lovehearts: She sells so many of them and everyone loves them because they're the safest, easiest to clean, tents we've ever found. It makes a difference when a bird owner makes things for birds - they know what birds need most and take that into consideration first :)

http://www.etsy.com/shop/HappyWings

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.