Parrot Forums - TalkParrots banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had my GCC for a few weeks now and he is doing great! The biting is down to a minimum but there is one thing I don't quite understand. When I go to scritch him, he bites my fingers. I don't think he likes my hand over his head. And even if I come in from the side, he starts biting my finger. But then if I cup my hand over his boddy very loosely, with just his head sticking out, he loves the scritches and just about falls asleep! Does he just not have the scritch sign down yet or are they just more comfortable being held closer? Or is my bird just a little weird? :lol:

·
Registered
37 Posts
No Its normal my sun conure is about 5 months old and does the same. I guess its just because they are so hyper.

Reactions: nanay

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
You seem to have discovered a method of holding or communication or some such thing between the two of you that he is comfortable with. I say, if it is working, stay with it. My Shira is sometimes touchy when I start to pet her, too, and yet, at other times, she wants to be scritched for very long periods of time. I think I probably miss some of her communication signals, or she and I just haven't worked out our communication as well as we could have. She was hatched in May, and I've had my senegal a year longer, so I don't know if that is the reason or not, but I think I can read my senegal a little better than my green cheek. Maybe I pay closer attention to my senegal than my green cheek because if she does bite, it hurts a heck of a lot more than if the green cheek bites. :giggle:

Shira will crawl right into my hands when she wants to be scritched and push herself against them until I do what she wants, so maybe green cheeks want to tell US when it is time for a snuggle instead of us asking them if they want a scritch. :shrug:

I realize this answer gives you no comfort or ideas about what to do, but at least it confirms that other green cheek people have the same questions.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Most of my conures are the same way. They want to be scratched when they want it and not when I do. They are very funny that way. It sounds like you're doing a great job with him. Most GCC's I've met like to be snuggled in your hands or up against you but sometimes just don't like the scratching. Just keep working with him and he'll get better about it. I'm fostering my sisters GCC right now and I've gotten him to where I can turn him upside down in my hand and scratch his belly but my sister can't do it. Start trying to flip him into your palm and try to get him to lay there. It'll take a while but you'll eventually get him to where he'll lay there and let you scratch him all you want. Also, try flipping you're finger over and let him hang upside down from your finger. When I do this with Kazi, he will let me scratch his head all I want. Don't make any sudden movements toward the back of the head. Start from the cheeks and work backwards when he lowers his head. Just scratch his cheeks around and beside his beak and then work your way back. Good luck and keep us updated on his progress! BTW - Whats his name?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have rotated him on to his back. He doesn't stay in the position long, but just starting to work on it. He is so incredibly playful I am loving it!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oh, meant to say his name is Tookie, like the call of the bird in George of the Jungle. Once again the kids came up with a name that kind of stuck before I could come up with one!

·
Registered
115 Posts
I love the name Tookie. That's a great name, sounds like your kids are great at naming animals. LOL GCC's are very playful and fun! But you have to remember that most GCC's are very nippy. They will nip a lot for a while. Its just how you react whether they keep doing it or not. Before long he will be laying in your hand all the time letting you scratch him.

·
Premium Member
17,670 Posts
A few of my birds LOVE to have head scritches and other prefer to be held. I think it's just a personal preference to be honest haha!

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
I've found that Libby, my Pineapple GCC, LOVES to have her head, neck and "chin" rubbed -- when SHE wants it! When she does, she'll close her eyes and practically lay her head down on my hand. When she's not in the mood, I'll get a quick nip to STOP THAT! Most of the time, though, she loves getting skritched!

Hmmmm.....who's training who????

·
Premium Member
17,670 Posts
That is so true haha

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.