Parrot Forums - TalkParrots banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently got a baby greencheek and for the first few days he was very cuddly and loved sitting on me. Then he sort of made friends with my linnie and now it seems they're best friends. I thought it was cute in the beginning but now the greencheek seems less tame and won't even come to me:(
I'm thinking I'm going to have to take him into a different room with me for periods of time just to spend time alone with him.
Any suggestions?

·
Registered
502 Posts
Spend time with each of the birds separately. Maybe one in the morning and one in the afternoon or evening.
Are the birds in the same cage?

·
Registered
509 Posts
Congrats of the conure!

I know that feeling all too well.

My conure, Ziggy, wanted to be best friends with my budgie when I got him.
I had fears he was bonding to her and ruining our bond.

Ziggy even displayed mating behaviour towards Bentley (the budgie) !

I got really worried, but these guys recommended I let them spend less time together. You can even see some of the vids i've posted to see just how bonded they were.

I did that, but I still wanted to bring them out together. After a while, they lost interest in each other. A budgie can't mate with a conure, so that put a stop to that! The are now just 'friends' and Ziggy, prefers to be with me.

Bentley was adopted as an adult so I never expect him to become completely tame, so now when I have them out together (which is limited to no more than 2 times a week) Bentley just wanders round the floor while I train Ziggy on the T stand.
They sometimes engage in a little preening, but thats it.

I was worried to start with, but its natural for birds to be curious about their own kind. It does birds good to have a little time with another bird, even if they just hear each other, its good for them.

I recommend bonding with the conure seperatley, not in the same room, and not letting them spend time together. Soon the conure will be so fond of you, and will just see the linnie as a friend, but you should remain his favourite. Likewise with the linnie.

Once he's bonded to you, you can let them out together occasionally, but make sure you are involved in the play time. Don't just leave them to huddle up togother and ignore you. Make sure you play with them and give them both attention.

Your greencheek must become part of the flock of 3, not just an friend to the linnie.

Remember, you know your birds better than anyone, and if you notice odd behaviour that signals they are bonding too much, split them up. They should also be in seperate cages, to give them their own space.

-Ella :D

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for all the great advice. They are housed in different cages.
I don't want to have my greencheek so closely bonded to the linnie instead of me though so I will try and do what you have suggested. Thanks!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.