Parrot Forums - TalkParrots banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello from myself and Oliver 'Ollie' for short. He's a 2 1/2 year old Senegal Parrot whome I adopted just shy of a year ago.

Have always wanted a parrot of some sorts... and finally bit the bullet. The actual transition didn't go as planned. I was under the assumption the adoption fees (private transition) included a flight cage and all accessories. But ended up with a super small cage which was unacceptable to house anything living in for more than a short drive to a vet or the like. So while I was expecting to have everything included fell through, I had extra funds set aside for the new bird. So we had to end up aquiring a kings cage flight cage and all accessories not what I had planned while adopting a bird but it's what we had to do.

He's a flipping amazing Parrot! We hit it off pretty good, pretty quickly and immediately bonded. He fit right in with the other resident pets and for rhe last year things have been rather smooth sailing.

We have been having fun doing clicker training. He steps up, spins, waves and dances on cue. Working on recalls (hit or miss) unless he wants something I'm eatting . Been struggling with harness training after a slight hiccup... guess my plan for having him harness trained for summer has went out the door

We spend alot of time together, and he's out of his cage more than he's in his cage. Loves sitting on my shoulder and preening my facial hairs. He also has a habit of putting his beak on my ear and licking and gently shaking it. Nothing aggressive, it does tickle and sometimes makes me laugh... thats where the copying of my laugh came to happen I believe.

He's yet to talk, even though I talk to him daily... but he mimics things, such as my laugh which was very shocking when he first did it. He'll also mimic my whistle for the doggos, and I think he enjoys toying with the old pittys (13 & 15 years old) by calling them with my whistle, and when they come running he has a snickering laugh

There definitely isn't a dull moment with his antics, and he makes the days enjoyable. He's been an absolute treat to have around, and so far the best experience for a 1st time bird owner. Super blessed to have such a positive experience so far.

Hopefully things stay this way throughout this journey together.

I've been around the Facebook forums and decided to branch out and find other Parrot forums to learn, share and progress with my little feathered friend..

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I was trying to get Ollie harness tried by spring, but as I said earlier we had a mishap while progressing putting his head through the loops. He got hung up on the smallest loop and ended up in a bad situation that left him scared of the harness.

We are working our way back through the process once again but it's a slow progress, and after the misshap we have been processing very slowly keeping things positive and on hid time line.

Now I'd like to be able to take him out on the yard for some enrichment. But will absolutely not take him unless I have a way to keep him safe and Teathered to myself. Someone on Facebook mentioned Amazon sells leg bands that have leashes attached....

Would this be and acceptable way of short trips out side on the deck and yard. Or am I better off working at the harness .

He's full flighted as well, unclipped. And we are still working on his recalls in the house. Sometimes hit and miss so going outside with out a teather isn't in the cards.

·
Administrator
6,830 Posts
Hello and Welcome to you and Ollie .... he's a stunning Senegal and it sounds like he loves you and has bonded well with you. I would keep attempting to get him use to the harness if you want to take him outside.

The leg bands with leash are not safe and I've only heard horrible things about them especially if the bird is spooked when outside. The leg band can break their legs easily if the bird lunges to get away from something by accident and you are holding too tight to the lease to protect the bird.

Small steps in training daily with the harness and rewarding him with praise and a treat while you just slowly work at getting him use to placing the harness over his head a few times each week. Work slow and show him the scary harness is nothing to be afraid of.

It sounds like he trusts you fully so start training with him and the harness again. Go slow ... you should be able to get him use to it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the welcome!

I already knew the answer to my question b4 I asked. But figured I'd hear some other opinions and your absolutely right. Guess while we are working on harness training I'll look for an extra Cage for the patio so he can join us In the yard.

As for harness what brands are people using with good success.

Ollie is definitely an amazing birdo, super blessed to have such a wonderful companion for a 1st time bird owner. He fit right in the busy house. So far its been a very positive and rewarding journey and never a dull moment around here.

·
Administrator
6,830 Posts
Quite the pack and flock you've got there! I bet its fun to just sit around and watch them interact and misbehave as well!

Sorry I can't give you any ideas or advice about harnesses as I've never used one for my birds.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts