Parrot Forums - TalkParrots banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, my name is Kenny and my family and I recently got a green cheek conure about two weeks ago. We have greatly enjoyed her/him since we got Kiwi (that is the name my kids chose and the one that I approved of). Kiwi is very affectionate and fiesty when she wants to be. In the short time that we have had Kiwi, she (I tend to refer to Kiwi as a girl) does bite quit a bit, but I figure she is just beaking. She likes to go after freckles :lol:. The only problem that I have had is that I can not get her to eat fruits and vegetables. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
3,245 Posts
Have you tried pretending to eat it yourself and then offering it to her... I am lucky I got a 3 month old pineapple green cheek 1 1/2 weeks ago and he ( I dunno for sure either) will try anything I offer him.

·
Registered
914 Posts
Welcome to Talk Parrots:) Persisitance is key with introducing new foods, just dont give up, it took me months to get my Aero to eat veggies. Also try presenting the veggies in different ways, like putting them through the cage bars or chopping them up small, Ive heard sprinkling seed on veggies helps but Ive never tried that, or even putting the veggies in foraging trays/toys( This is how I got Aero to try brocolli). Birds can be quite picky, but if you keep at it theyll eventually get curious and try it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the responeses, and actually I have tried eating it myself and getting her to try it this way. She has tried to take chips and other things from me (things she cannot have but not what I want her to take. It is almost like she knows.

·
Registered
914 Posts
Thanks for the responeses, and actually I have tried eating it myself and getting her to try it this way. She has tried to take chips and other things from me (things she cannot have but not what I want her to take. It is almost like she knows.
oh haha I know. My cockatiel Aero is obsessed with doritos, I cannot have doritos around her or shes on me trying to get at them:giggle: I had some today, I gave her some millet but as soon as she saw the doritos she didnt care about the millet anymore!

·
Premium Member
17,670 Posts
try making the fruit n veg into toys! That's the best way to do it! Make it a fun game for them haha!

·
Premium Member
17,670 Posts
Oh and welcome to the forum by the way :D

·
Registered
5,750 Posts
Welcome to TalkParrots! Glad you joined.
You'll learn lots if you get involved.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you, just the few days I have been on here has been helpful and learning new things with each visit. Like the fact that birds have bones in their tongues - I did not know that.:parrotsmilie:

·
Premium Member
17,670 Posts
hehe, random facts :thumbsup:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.